We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family skiing holiday

london
3 posts
Save Topic
Family skiing holiday

Hi all, hope you can help

I am looking to come to Minneapolis in December over Xmas to catch a game. We are hoping to travel from uk to USA and spend a week skiing then 3 or 4 days in minn.

My question is, what's the best place for a novice family to ski in USA? It's doing my head in, over here in the UK the consensus seems to be Breckenbridge, Winter Park or North Tahoe, But that they're all horribly busy and over priced.

Would prefer somewhere quietish, between Xmas and new year and with excellent family facilities and ski schools.

Anyone any ideas??

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
61 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family skiing holiday

If you are looking for mountain skiing with less crowds, I'd recommend Utah (Park City/Deer Valley) or Montana (Big Sky). They will both be expensive and probably have crowds but less so than Colorado. Utah would be my preference.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family skiing holiday

If you are novice skiiers I would not pay what you would have to pay to go out to the western US (Utah, Colorado, etc). The skiing quality is exponentially better but if you are novices you will not notice the quality difference as much and wouldn't get the bang for the buck.

If you are spending time in Minneapolis anyway would you consider skiing here in MN, specifically Lutsen? Again, the runs aren't as long and the snow quality is not as good as Colorado or Utah but it has more than enough quality and difficulty for a novice. Good rental store. You wold have to google their prices for ski school. But they do offer it.

Prices will be dramatically lower. Lodging opportunities are fantastic and very close (at Caribou Highlands you can find units that let you walk out back sliding glass door, put on skis and ski right onto an access trail). And the scenery may not be the Rocky Mountains but it is still gorgeous. Heavily wooded, views of beautiful Lake Superior, secluded with wildlife everywhere.

Somthing to think about.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
61 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family skiing holiday

Although I agree with the previous reply, it is truly night and day between skiing in MN and skiing in a mountain. Don't be fooled by the clever names of the places in MN, there are no mountains, alps, etc... in MN only hills. If you have ever went skiing in a mountain, you will be VERY disappointed in the skiing in MN.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
1,072 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family skiing holiday

Christmas is an iffy time for snow even in the mountains. We skied 8 days in Tahoe this year and there was zero snow. Only manmade on a small percentage of the ski runs. Most of Colorado, same thing. If you are skiing for a week I recommend purchasing a seasons pass like the Vail Epic pass good at all Vail Resorts. I would think long and hard about conditions in December you could end up very disappointed. Definitely a gamble from year to year. This year horrible, even now.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
1,072 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family skiing holiday

Oh, of the places you mentioned, Winter Park is the most reasonably priced, again, look into a season's pass if skiing for a week. It might make more sense. Had a Winter Park pass for years and it was a very good deal. Also good at Copper Mt. I believe.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family skiing holiday

I def. didn't mean to put skiing in MN and skiing out west in the same universe. It is night and day as the previous poster said.

But I thought the original poster was looking for options closer to home by asking on this forum, in the event they were ok with the lower elevations and lesser skiing quality (although I do maintain it is more than quality enough for a true novice).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family skiing holiday

I've been skiing at Whistler (north of Vancouver) a couple years back. It was not outrageously priced, and now that the Olympics have come and gone, I think it might work. Lots more to do there in addition to skiing. I've been to Tahoe and Heavenly in the past, too, and agree it's pretty pricey. I would point you to Colorado and Utah, based on what I hear and more choices. As stated above, more folks are selling passes for package deals - so that's something to check. Also, I find Ebay as a great resource to buy discount passes, just make sure you do your research.

8. Re: Family skiing holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, March 06, 2013