We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 hour layover

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 hour layover

I will be flying into Minneapolis with a 3 1/2 hr layover. Would I be able to go to the Mall of America? What would be the best way to get there?

I have two teenage boys with me so I'm looking for something to pass the time. Thanks.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

I might be a little late chiming in.... but the airport is close to a lot of attractions. 3 1/2 hours might be a little tight to leave the airport, but check out a great amenity at the airport: MSP Tours www.msptours.com they are on the airport web page also.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

You're not late. I am not leaving until July....lol. I will check out the website you've mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

I think 3.5hrs is plenty of time. I live near the airport & mall and use lightrail regularly. As long as you check your watch (or cell phone) regularly you should be able to manage a trip to the Mall of America via lightrail. Be sure to note where you enter the mall so you can get back that way quickly if necessary. OR, to save a few minutes, take a cab...it should be VERY cheap.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

Thanks, 3 1/2 hrs is a long time to hang around.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

Print off online map of airport to give you idea of the concourse layouts, then make beeline for the lightrail as soon as you land.

You go one floor below baggage claim than all the way to the back for a 20 second people mover ride then down one more for tix machine then down one more for tracks.

The mall will be last stop on tracks to your right. Have fun!

Edited: 7:57 pm, January 19, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,264 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

MNKara is optimistic. I would point out that it's one thing to use lightrail and live locally, but it's a bigger thing to squeeze it in-between a schedule with factors outside of your control as a connection - with all due respect. I would only consider the risk if all the factors were aligned. Let me give you some rough guides. Let's say your plane is on-time; deduct time if not. Unloading the plane - 10 minutes, maybe more depending on your seat location. Don't gate check a bag if it's a regional jet - or add more time. Getting from one end of the terminal (say far F gates) to baggage claim - 5-10 minutes. Tram to lightrail stop - 5 minutes. Journey to MOA - 15-20 minutes. Now reverse the trip and add 30-45 minutes (being conservative) to re-enter TSA and get to your departing gate. Now, how much time do you want to stroll around? I think you're right around 3 hours, so this is very rushed to me.

As MNKara suggests, you may want to consider the trip to MOA on lightrail, but return via taxi to cut off some time. Good Luck. You'll have to come back here in July to report how you did.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

I'll have to let you know. I think we get in at 8:30 am. We won't have to go to baggage claim because we are traveling on to Seattle. It's a matter of getting off of the plane and getting to the lightrail. If the plane gets in early maybe we'll go. It'll depend on how ambitious we feel. Even if I walked around the mall for 1 hr. I'd be okay with that. I know it's massive and an hour may seem like nothing, but to me, I'll never be back there again so I might just go for it.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,264 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

Whether or not you are waiting for a bag, you will need to proceed to the baggage claim level in order to get to the lightrail station. Depending on your gate, you may be able to proceed to that level using the connector between C and G gates (like C12/G18). For reference, it puts you right near the rental cars. http://www.mspairport.com/maps.aspx

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

thanks

20. Re: 3 1/2 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 21, 2013