We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

Everytime I come up to Mnpls I get caught in Apple Valley, which I consider to be about as Suburban as they come.

This time my sister, 21, and I, 33, are going to stay downtown and want suggestions on fun things to do, good shopping areas, funky boutiques and stores, and best of all - fun and funky restaurants, brewpubs, etc. Please do NOT recommend a chain as that is not our thing.

Thanks so much!

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

When/where/how long are you staying, and what is your mode of transport?

Minneapolis is chock-full of goodies!

Here's a link to some basic info:

duluth.citysearch.com/map…

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

Ughh, sorry! I pasted the wrong URL. Let's try that again:

http://www.minneapolis.org/

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

I've been to that site - thanks! The problem with CVBs is that they are member based, so only promote members. We're also looking for those sweet spots that only Insiders know about!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

we're coming either March 18 or 25, driving, staying downtown.

Minneapolis
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

A good fun place to stay and good value would be the Holiday Inn Metrodome hotel. It is located about 5 blocks from the metrodome and about 1/2 mile to downtown hot spots. The area around the hotel is called 7 corners, the area has fun pubs/cafes right out the hotels door. The hotel provides van service to the downtown area as well. There phone number is 1-800-HIT-DOME or (612)333-4646. For the money and location you will not find a better downtown hotel. (clean, safe, good service and the Holiday Inn name to trust.Their website is www.metrodome.com

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

I'll give you a huge list of restaurants and bars this local likes in a few areas. If you ask locals (most are on the web, too, I think) you can get specific addresses.

I list some places that are on the expensive side for this area, but would be worth it for the experience/atmosphere and for out-of-towners looking for fun. I'll put a * next to these.

The area around Hennepin Ave E. and University Ave:

Nye's Polonaise Room

The Times

Jitters

Pizza Nea

Oddfellows*

Gardens of Salonica

Wilde Roast

Downtown:

Dakota Jazz Club & Restaurant*

Vincent*

Ike's

Mission American Kitchen*

Rossi's Blue Star Jazz

Cosmos*

Bellanotte*

Warehouse Dist:

Cafe Brenda

112 Eatery

Pizza Luce

Eat Street (Nicollet Ave betw. Franklin and 28th):

Jasmine Deli

Black Forest

Azia*

Peninsula

Quang

Yummy

Bad Waitress

Loring Park area:

Joe's Garage

Bar Lurcat*

20.21 at the Walker Art Center*

Uptown(Hennepin South and Lake Street)

and Lyndale-Lake:

Chino Latino

Cafe Barbette

Tum Rup Thai

Chang Mai Thai

Passage To India

Bar Abeliene

Bryant Lake Bowl

Lucia's

There's lots more. I think Minneapolis-St. Paul has excellent restaurants- consistently good and accessible to everyone- not much snobbery here.

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
172 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

Since you have a car I would suggest going to the Uptown area. They have some great restaurants and shops. Chino Latino has interesting, good food and the best mojitos I've ever had. Check out their webiste chinolatino.com. Kitty Corner from there is Famous Dave's which is BBQ but they have live blues bands every night.

Townhall brewery near UMN has very good beer and even though Rock Bottom brewery is a chain, the one downtown is fun.

I would suggest going to citypages.com and in special issues click on Best of the Twin Cities 2005. They list the best restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Locals vote so you get an honest review.

Pine Island...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

If you're into nightclubs. Try the Cabooze or the Uptown.... always an interesting crowd. There are lots of great shops in the Uptown area. Also check out Dinkytown, by the University of Minnesota. They have alot of fun shops and great restaurants. There is also a very cool modern art museum just a few blocks away called the Weisman. Just ask the cab driver to take you to Dinkytown. They'll know where to go.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

xmas007girl,

thanks for the question, my same idea too when I visit and get stuck in Apple Valley!about as dead and boring as ....

Any ways, copied out the list and will ask my friends there the in's on them and where to hit!! (When I return to visit in June)!!

Until then will check in on the latest updates on MPLS!!

Thanks.

Acasun.....

Acasun......

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two young ladies coming to Mnpls for a fun, long weekend

Chino Latino, Solera, and Bar Lurcat are my suggestions.

As for shops???? I actually think the suburbs are better for this (i.e Edina and Maple Grove)