We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight parking

Which Minneapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
overnight parking

I need to park in downtown Minneapolis overnight for 2 nights and

would rather not pay over $30 each night. Is there a manned parking lot near the 900 block of Hennepin (within a 5 min. walk). I would like to know as I am leaving next week. Thanks all

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight parking

Howdy

greetings from Minneapolis

I live and work downtown, and yes, if you are willing to walk just a few blocks, there are stretches of free parking in a safer area where the meters stop charging Friday at 6 p.m., and resume Monday at 8 a.m.

Several spot near my condo building and people have never had any problems.

Private message me and I can give you locations, etc.

You from Winnipeg? I miss that town !

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight parking

Thank you for your response to my parking questions. If we do not have anything to leave in our vehicle, we may take your suggestions. However, we do have to look for the meters that you mentioned. Don't have a clue as to where to find the area though. Lived in Wpg all my life. You're still close enough to visit though. Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight parking

I never pay $30 for overnight parking on weekends - but downtown parking can get pricey during the week. IF you definitely need a manned lot versus an unmanned lot or ramp, then you will have fewer options. Also, don't be fooled by the valet parking prices advertised at hotels; self-parking rates can be much, much lower. The Target Center ramp (Ramp A) is huge, but there are plenty of other ramps, too.

Edited: 12:10 pm, May 08, 2011
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight parking

We want to be sure that our vehicle and contents are safe. If we shop we may leave certain items in the car. I guess you take a chance no matter where you are. There is a lot on 1001 Hennepin area which is 24 hours but they won't say if it is a "manned" parking lot. Not too sure about that one.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight parking

What hotel are you planning on being near?

My condo is on 7th street about 4 blocks east from Hennepin.

It's a one way and there is decent traffic.

If you have purchases consider storing in you room or locking them on the trunk.

Even pay ramps get hit by thieves for parkers who leave things in plain view.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight parking

I'm born/raised in the Minneapolis area. I've parked downtown many times in many of the ramps (not a lot of experience with lots) and my car's never been broken into, even overnight. Put as much as you can in the trunk and lock (don't give anyone a reason to "notice" your stuff). Try to find a spot next to others or next to the door/elevator. Many of the ramps are fully enclosed and secured, so some random person cannot just walk in.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight parking

Thank you. Still not too sure what to do. I drive an SUV so there is

no trunk. Guess we will just keep purchases small so we can take

them to the hotel room. Too many options to choose from for

parking. Just want to be safe. Thanks again

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overnight parking

Safest option is to pay the $30+ valet parking or choose to stay at home. Sorry - just being honest

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: overnight parking

I worked in the Mpls 911 Center for many years, and we always had more thefts from cars parked in lots compared to ramps. Ramps have security cameras. I don't know if you checked it out, but there would be a convenient ramp for you at 1000 Hennepin. Here's the website www.parksmartmpls.com/locations/orpheum/,

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overnight parking

Downtown: not sure if that's the right answer. I would conclude, based on my experience, that valet parking areas are no safer than where you can self park in a secured ramp. In fact, most hotels have a "waiver" on the claim ticket where it clearly states you are parking at your own risk.