We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks with Foreign Currency?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Banks with Foreign Currency?

Does anyone know if there are any banks that sell Euros in Minneapolis?

Cash Machine is not an option, and I'm hoping to avoid the hefty fees at the Airport Forex.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

I would try calling main branch of Wells Fargo in Wells Fargo Tower downtown.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

where are you traveling to? In many EU countries it's best to get the exchange rate at ATMs. My last two EU trips I brought no euros with me and used the ATMs after arriving. My research showed me that was the best rate.

And of course that research included people in Athens and Paris telling me what the rate was and which ATMs were best to use (not the airport ATM).

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

https:/…

Above: link to Wells Fargo locations in Mpls that sell foreign currency.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

I would generally agree with MN on the idea of seeking out ATM's in Europe. Though my experience is Ecuador and Central America, it ended up being relatively favorable exchange rates at the ATM's, and actually the ATM's didn't charge me fees to use the machine (my bank did, but that's another question). I will admit 2 of the 5 countries I visited uses the Dollar as the official currency, but the other countries were still willing to accept Dollars pretty interchangably.

I would even go so far as go to the TA forums where you're visiting and asking them their impressions.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

sometimes people are going out of the states, or coming into the states and just feel comfortable having local currency on hand. I see nothing wrong with that.

There are other situations where you might need a lot of cash.

We visited Italy in Oct 2010 and I needed a thousand euros for an apartment rental up front.

C'mon people, how do you get 1K euros up front from atms after you get off a couple of flights after flying all night, and have to scope out atms, etc, etc, ya da, ya da.

YOu don't..............you get euros up front (yes, probably from Wells Fargo in the States) and take them along with you when you leave home.

My only saving grace was that the exchange rate was pretty good at the time.

That and the fact I didn't have to attempt coming up with that amount of (local) cash after flying all night.

I suppose we could also recommend that people bring home a decent amount of Euros with them when they return from Europe, and save them for future situations such as this..............yeah, sure..............

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

No one is saying using the ATM as your exchange system is THE only way to go. But if you're not someone who needs a ridiculous sum of cash right off the start of your trip, it works well for many people.

And was suggested to me by those living in Athens and Paris on my trips. They know because they see a lot of visitors asking the same question and have saved people a trip to the bank by pointing out a favorable exchange rate at ATMs, which many people would not think of.

I only suggested it as an option in case the OP hadn't considered it, like many people.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

Thanks tptr! Looks like exactly what I needed!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
70 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

Turns out Wells only offers exchange service for American account holders.

I guess I'll end up having to take my business to the airport after-all.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

If you happened to be a AAA member, one can order foreign currency from them.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Banks with Foreign Currency?

Helo,

Wells Fargo in Saint Paul, Grand Avenue

Highland Bank, Saint Paul, Ford Parkway

The one at the airport is an enemy to all travelers.

Good luck