We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

new jersey
7 posts
Save Topic
Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

Hello - I will be in downtown Minneapolis for a couple days this week and DW would like to see the big ball of twine in Darwin. Besides renting a car downtown(~$50 for the day), are there any other options to get to Darwin? bus?

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

Greyhound does not serve Litchfield (nearest town of any size) and Willmar the nearest town (36 miles away) that is served is via St. Cloud and Paynesville so apparently they do not run service on US-12. Also, service tends to be one run per day which would require staying overnight and there is no place to stay in Darwin. Litchfield is about 10 miles away. So total cost for bus R/T and overnight would far exceed rental car.

All that said.... it's really not that impressive. Large yes. They've moved it to a nice glass enclosure to protect it and there is a description of the history but that's about it. The rest of the town cosists of a couple churches, a couple bars, a grain elevator and a gas station. Population 276 or so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Twineball.jpg

Still, right now it could be a very pretty drive with the trees changing color and all. From downtown Mpls (depending on tim eof day) figure 80-90 minutes each way based on my experience driving to my sister-in-law's house there. More going there if at evening rush.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Cloud
Saint Cloud
Minnesota
new jersey
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

Thank you. I went ahead and booked the rental car. Not expecting much but if that is all I have to do to keep DW happy and be able to watch the Yankees play in the midwest, so be it

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

Since you're driving I would suggest stopping in the Lake Minnetonka area (such as Sunsets in downtown Wayzata) for lunch/dinner. I don't get that direction often but I'm sure others will have additional suggestions.

Edited: 11:54 am, October 05, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Minnetonka
Minnetonka
Minnesota
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

Sunsets is excellent, we go to the one in Woodbury fairly often. Another lakeside place is Lord Fletchers which always features Walleye on menu. http://www.lordfletchers.com/

Or the other direction form Darwin, depending on the time of day, might be in Litchfield at Peter's on Lake Ripley. Mostly features Ribs but also has Walleye (a MN thing except that it mostly comes from Canada). http://www.petersribs.com/

Might make a good option of driving out to Darwin in afternoon and then back in early evening after dinner or morning out and lunch there before coming back.

One caution about early morning or after dusk in evening... getting near to Deer rut season so might be better to get back to The Cities well before dark. Even then there are tons of them around Lake Minnetonka and all outer suburbs. Cars kill more deer than hunters in MN each year.

Another note...near Maple Plain there is a detour on US-12 around a new railroad overpass under construction. Not super long and goes through a pretty area with some interesting houses. But watch speed, the local cops have been raking it in there.

Mentioned in this post
Woodbury
Woodbury
Minnesota
Canada
Canada
North America
Minnetonka
Minnetonka
Minnesota
5. Re: Bus to Darwin from downtown minneapolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, April 04, 2011