We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

I'm attending an event at the convention center end of July, and I currently have a reservation at the Hyatt but just found out about the new Hilton Garden Inn which is a much better price.

The Hyatt is obviously a higher class but the reviews I'm reading on Trip Advisor say that Hyatt needs renovation and customer service isn't that good. Not many reviews on Hilton Garden since it's so new. I know the HGI is not connected to the skywalk. I'd be walking back/forth from CC to hotel early morning and later evening.

Any feeback from people who live in the area on which is better?

Thanks, Mary

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

As you compare rates, keep in mind parking. Parking at the HGI is valet only, at $24 a day. The Hyatt Regency has a ramp and likely would be cheaper (although make sure you check).

You could stay at the HGI and park in a neighboring ramp a block or so away to reduce the parking rate too. I know some lots on weekends are as cheap as $3 a day -- but more on weekdays. Parking is an extra fee in every downtown hotel in Mpls that I have stayed at. But the ones that have ramps are cheaper.

As for the hotels themselves -- both are the same distance to the convention center. A little better location for the Hyatt simply because it's on Nicollet Mall, but it's not much of an issue.

I have never been impressed with the Hyatt Regency, myself. It's a bit dated. And if the HGI is indeed cheaper, I would jump at that. It's new. I only know one person who stayed and they were impressed at the accomodation they got for a good, budgetish rate.

I wouldn't worry about the skywalk connection. It's not a lengthy enough walk to be concerned about late-night walks. I think the skywalk connection is only a minor perk to factor into the pros/cons.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

Thanks for the info! Parking charges won't be an issue for us as we aren't renting a car. Plan to take the light rail from the airport and then walk around DT or take the bus. HGI also mentions a complimentary shuttle for the DT area so that might be handy.

The rate at HGI is $104 including full breakfast vs $179 at Hyatt.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

The Hilton Garden Inn is brand spankin new - vs the Hyatt is old and tired.

But, what the Hyatt has, is that it's on Nicollet Mall and lots of places to eat & drink & be entertained just a block or two away.

The HGI is kinda on the fringe, but you mentioned there's a shuttle that you can use.

The walk should be fine morning or night from HGI.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

You mention the HGI is on the fringe...do you know what other buildings/businesses are on the same block?

I guess the Google maps street cam shot was taken before the HGI was built as I don't see the HGI.

Thanks, Mary

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

it is right at the entryway from I35 W southbound, and the dowtown exits from I35 W northbound into the city.

the Ameriprise Service Center and a church are near by. My condo is about 5 blocks due north, on 7th street. I don't mean on the Fringe on a bad way, just that restarants are bars are an extra few blocks away from that hotel, but I would that the HGI over the Hyatt, since it's so new, and you found a better price.

I don't think anything was there before, just a patch of land by the freeway.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

There is no way the Hyatt Regency is worth $75 more than the Hilton Garden Inn. I'd do the HGI in a second given that gap. They're about the same location, SLIGHTLY better location for the HR. But almost negligible.

Save the cash, enjoy a newer hotel and spend that saved $$$ on a nice dinner.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
394 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

Go to the Hilton Garden Inn. It is not too far away and I think it is nicer actually.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

Stay at the HGI and use the money you save to have dinner at Oceanaire in the Hyatt after you grab a cold pint on the roof at Brit's -- a block north on Nicollet from the Hyatt.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

The Hilton Garden Inn is actually closer than the Hyatt to the CC. HGI faces the convention center from tbe backside (a very nice view of the colorful mural from the hotel rooms too). You can enter through the back enterance of the convention center and it is literally footsteps to get there. And it's new! I'd stick with HGI.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton Garden Inn vs Hyatt Regency DT

Thanks everyone for your input - I'm going with the Hilton Garden Inn.

Mary