We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

My husband and a colleague will be at a medical conference this week in downtown Minneapolis. They are staying at the Doubletree Guest Suites on Lasalle Ave. Apparently, it's close to Nicolette Mall and the light rail. They are looking to try some good restaurants in the area. They will eat pretty much anything, italian, steaks, sushi, local specialties, etc. Any recommendations for two guys from Texas?

Note: They also plan to hit MOA at some point, if you have any tips there.

Thanks for your help!!

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

There are many newer trendy restaurants but a few in particular have stood the test of time.

Murray's Steakhouse for steak. Real old fashioned steak place with great meat.

http://murraysrestaurant.com/

Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse...Benehana type tepanyaki with sushi bar too.

http://www.ichiban.ca/locat_minneapolis.php

Nye's Polonaise Room...another old time traditional place....sort of a Polish twist in standard american fare.

http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

Black Forest Inn....German, duh. Since 1965.

http://www.blackforestinnmpls.com/

These are unique places unlike the same old same old "new" restaurants that pop up in every large city. The above have deep roots and long tradition. Ichiban is probably the latest but still has several decades under its belt.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

I agree with the suggestions of Murray's. I've been to all the steakhouse favorites here (including Manny's, Rossi's, etc.) and I think Murray's is the best steak in Minneapolis-St. Paul.

It's right in the heart of downtown, on 6th Street a few blocks from Target Center. It's spendy, but the service is top class. It's been around forever.

Oceanaire is generally known as the best seafood in town, but similarly expensive.

A step down in cost is Ike's (right next to Murray's). Ike's does a monster brunch that I love.

Also would recommend Nye's Polonaise Room. A MN classic. Food is good, but the entertainment is why you go there. Split between a old-style piano bar and a really old school polka bar. Friday night is the best night there. They have to go for drinks.

Also consider Azia for what I think is the best Asian fusion place with a separate sushi bar that gets rave reviews. I have enjoyed every meal there, and it's a pretty cool nightspot too. It's just outside the perimeter of downtown, maybe a $5 cab ride as it's on Nicollet Avenue, which is what Nicollet Mall turns into a few blocks south (Eat Street).

Nothing much of note at the mall. Pretty slim pickings there foodwise.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

Oh, and if they DO go to Murray's, my suggestion is the silver butter knife steak. It's a tenderloin for two people at $70, just to give you a sample of the prices.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

Ike's is good

you can do the breakfast buffet there -- outstanding

do try Brit's -

very popular place next door to your hotel

try to get up & outstairs out back - and see the lawn bowling

and the new 3rd floor deck too

check out the top floor of Macy's (formerly Daytons)

during M-F lunch hrs - they have at the "Skyroom" - one of the largest salad bars in the state + soups + pasta salads + breaks -

fixed price & as much as you'd care to eat

MASA if you like upscale Mexican

Oceanaire @ the Hyatt if you like seafood

Origami for sushi

we just got a Fogo de Chau - Brazilian skewers of steak - it's a feast !

someone mentioned Nye's -

try the Polonaise Plate

go on a Fri or Sat for the "world's most dangerous polka band"

it's an institution

I like Capital Grille for steaks - but there are several other good steak places too

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

Thank you all so much for your help!! I'm a bit jealous, sounds like they're going to have a great time thanks to your advice.

6. Re: Downtown Restaurants for 2 Guys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 05, 2009