We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

scotland
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Hi,

Can anyone give me a bit of advice.

I have been quoted $160 for a return Shuttle service for 5 ppl,

I am unsure how the booking would go, will the Driver be there when we land ? I am also unsure of what time to put in the booking form, As we have to go through security and wait for our bags and both can be lengthy..

Or am I best to just call for an Uber when we are in Arrivals? there are 5 of us with big cases, again unsure if they can trasport us all to our Hotel or whether it will be 2 cars? And roughly how much is an Uber to Downtown?

Any advice would be appreciated

Edited: 7:50 am, August 21, 2017
14 replies to this topic
Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
590 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Uber from the airport is about $20. But that's for a regular car. For that many people with luggage, you would need a Uber XL (SUV) but even that may not be big enough. Also keep in mind that there is a major construction project starting on the 35W freeway heading into downtown which may delay your trip. You might be better off just taking the light rail, which is about a 30 minute ride.

scotland
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Hi,

Thank you, There are a couple of ppl in our group who are really not keen on taking the Light rail, so that's the reason why I am looking at a shuttle service etc

When does this construction start? I am going mid Oct... flight lands at 6pm but probably looking at booking a car for around 7pm I think

Minneapolis MN
Level Contributor
590 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

It starts this week and will go for 4 years. I can't say for sure how much of the freeway will be closed, but you can probably expect delays no matter what day/time you are coming into or leaving downtown via the freeway.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
816 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

The 35W project starts today - August 21. It is a 5 phase project that will last into October, 2021.

…state.mn.us/metro/projects/i35wminneapolis/

Edited: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2017
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Even 2 Ubers will almost certainly be cheaper than that shuttle price. One uber, one way from the airport to downtown will be in the $20-25 range. So two Ubers, round trip will be $80-100. Far less than the $160 for the shuttle. But as others have said, the light rail is super convenient, and it's only $2.25 per person each way.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
1,139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

If you use Uber you have to make your way to App-based Ride Services follow signs towards Ground Transport. This is where Uber is allowed to pick up. It's a bit confusing finding the area via lower level of airport. Personally, to go downtown I'd take Light Rail. Definitely.

Edited: 11:41 am, August 22, 2017
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
1,139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Instructions on Light Rail https://www.metrotransit.org/airport. Our rail system isn't like NYC, Chicago or Washington DC. It is much lesd complicated and basically goes between airport and downtown.

Edited: 11:51 am, August 22, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5,272 posts
1,151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

I am not a big fan of Shuttles so think you should take one or two Uber cars or just take the Light Rail. As others have said, our train from the airport is very simple and basically only goes south to the Mall of America or North to downtown Minneapolis.

Mentioned in this post
Mall of America
Mall of America
5,141 Reviews
Bloomington, MN
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Just chiming in that Lyft is also an option - much like Uber, an app-based service. I'm a fan of Uber, but there have been some serious shenanigans on my last couple ride requests. Drivers canceling my order and having to go back into the queue and wait longer. I'm sure drivers with both services play games to optimize rides/fares, but it's getting frustrating.

scotland
Level Contributor
361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Seems like Uber is the bestter option for us :)

Reply to: Uber or Shuttle service from Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted