We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay??

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay??

We're going to be in Minneapolis for six nights while our son is in Blaine for a soccer tournament. Could really use some help in deciding where is the best place to stay. The team will be staying in dorms at U of Northwestern-St Paul in Roseville. We're currently booked at a hotel nearby. I'm concerned however that there really isn't much to do in the area. We'd like to be relatively close to the team but in a walkable area with pubs/restaurants/shops. We will have a car be would rather not have to depend on it for dinner outs.

Where should we stay? Downtown? Around U of Minnesota?

Thanks!

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay??

For the walkable parts for dinner and things, you'd probably want to be downtown Minneapolis. Plenty to see, do, and eat. Roseville is not that far just off I-35. One downfall to downtown is you'll probably end up paying for parking at your hotel.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay??

Both downtowns and the campus are also connected by light rail so can visit all easily.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
839 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay??

To give you some perspective, the National Sports Center is W-A-Y on the northern edge of the cities, about 18-20 miles north of the U of M & downtown Minneapolis.

University of Northwestern – St. Paul is 12 miles from the National Sports Center in Blaine. That area of Roseville isn't too far from Rosedale shopping center & if you want to stay near the team, then consider the Country Inn & Suites or the Radisson. Both have a couple of restaurants within walking distance. But you're absolutely correct, there really isn't much to do in the immediate area. It's suburbia.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the help. I was able to find a few rooms at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown that were quite reasonably priced. Has anybody stayed in this hotel or immediate area? Safe area to walk around? Anything worth seeing or doing the immediate area?

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay??

I would consider airbnb, as there aren't really any hotels in walkable neighborhoods here outside of downtown. Look for something around the Uptown area (near Hennepin Ave and Lake St). Lots of restaurants and shops near there, plus you would be close to the lakes. Downtown is fine, it's just kinda sterile (for lack of a better word). If you do stay downtown, try to be somewhere near the North Loop area (Washington Ave west of Hennepin Ave).

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the AirBnB suggestion but I actually already tried : / Tough because we're six people. Will check out the area you suggested.

Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay??

Ah that's too bad. What are your dates?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay??

July 17-23

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay??

The USA Cup is a big time commitment. I played in it as a kid from like 1986-1993. As others mention, the NSC is a long ways from downtown Mpls. And if you stay downtown, you are putting yourself in a meat grinder traffic-wise to get back and forth for games that occur on weekdays near rush hour.

What hotel did you end up in? You at least would likely be close to a few of the lakes, like Lake Johanna. But nowhere in that corridor between I35W and I35E (between I694 and I94) are you going to find a convenient lace to walk around for shopping and restaurants and bars. It's really an issue caused by the remote location of the NSC.

When I played in it, we drove there in the morning and stayed all day at the complex to play in our games and then watch other games in between our own games. There were always some very big draws to watch teams from outside the US compete with American teams. And we did a lot of pin trading and exhibits, and bolted when we could for a restaurant nearby.

Do you anticipate having a lot of time to walk your hotel area? I just don't see a way to be close to the team AND have that nice walkable area with restaurants. And my recollection was that the USA Cup was such a busy tournament that we were at the complex most of the time.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay??

Thanks for the insight mntoathens. We are traveling to watch our son but he is staying with his team and it isn't our desire to spend more than their game time in/around the NSC. We'll be with friends whose son is also on the team as well as our older son/his friend. We'll attend their games and then entertain ourselves elsewhere.

Good point regarding traffic. We don't know their schedule yet so that may be problematic if we're traveling in rush hour.

Overall, I'm more worried that we won't find enough to fill our time. Any suggestions of must sees downtown?

Thanks again.