We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
179 reviews
North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Since this is such a popular fall destination, thought I'd post this. I just spent the weekend camping at Tettegouche. We hiked up to Carlton Peak in Temperance River State Park and the maples on mountains looking west (away from the shore) had lots of color, albeit subdued. Considering the cool nights they're having, they seem to be peaking 1-2 weeks early.

HOWEVER, note that there was very little change along the shoreline, if the trees had leaves at all. And that those colors are more the yellows/browns due to the tamaracks, aspens & birches.

There also were some great pockets of color between Hinckley & Duluth, more going south on the highway instead of north (not sure why).

The days were warm and sunny, the nights cooled off fast. No hard frost yet, but lots of freeze warnings starting to happen. Also, there's a nasty stretch of construction for about 8 miles around Banning State Park. Not sure why, but heading south on I35 was painfully stop and go Sunday, so you may want to time your drive to miss the worst of the backup.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Thank you for the update. We're camping at Split Rock this weekend so I'm hoping we'll see more color inland that we normally might at this time of the year. To piggyback on your thread, I spent early morning taking pictures at Interstate Park (Wisc side). Was surprised to see all of the color already. Although none of it was vivid, the maples and sumac are turning early just north of the Cities also.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
179 reviews
2. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Good luck, I hope you see some great color CCDM_9. Sadly, because it's been so dry, many of the waterfalls are close to if not dried up. The normally covered gorges at Temperance were widely exposed, which I thought was pretty cool to look at. I heard Cascade was dry, but can't confirm that.

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
538 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

On a video from the International Wolf Center in Ely posted Friday, there was mention that there isn't much color in Ely. Due to the past dry year most of the leaves are simply drying up and falling. Oh well, I'm glad we had good fall foliage the last two years.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Just returned today. Not great color, but better than expected. The areas of maple along the Caribou Trail, Sawbill Trail and Highways 3, 4, & 5 between Beaver Bay and Finland were very close to peak. We did our yearly Mt. Oberg hike and the vistas on the north side were very nice--also very close to peak. Lower on Oberg the maples and some of the smaller maples on top hadn't really turned yet. Poplar and birch were a dull yellow or else still green.

Highway 61 is being repaved between the two tunnels. We lucked out but it looked like it could be a 10 to 15 minute delay.

minneapolis
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
179 reviews
5. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

Thanks for the report CCDM_9...

I'd forgot to mention that if you head up on a Thursday, the construction will affect your trip. Some of our friends actually couldn't sleep because their campsite was close enough to the highway that it kept them up all night. Yep, they're working evenings during the week, possibly because they stop on Fridays for the weekend tourists? I'm not sure when you went up, but we arrived at Tettegouche around 1:30 and saw no construction crews.

I'm actually surprised at how much cities color I saw this weekend after the cold evenings last week.

6. Re: North Shore colors likely peaking Sept 22 weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 13, 2013