We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting bugs

Which Duluth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Biting bugs

Hi all - Two parents, two teens, will be driving Duluth to Grand Marais next week (weather forecast looking like mid-60s) and wanted to do some short hikes along the way. Wondered, therefore, what the mosquito/biting flies situation has been lately? Do I need to bring along any protective gear other than mosquito repellent and long pants/sleeves?

Thanks.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biting bugs

We use mosquito repellant and have never had an issue.

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biting bugs

I like walking 20 minutes up (or more) along the Temperence River

Also, the Oberg Loop hike has 7 scenic vistas and very popular

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biting bugs

Hey, thanks for input! DowntownMinne, many thanks for the input on the hikes. All I have to go on right now is this link http://www.rd.com/travel/north-shore-drive/ so if you or anyone has some better links for short trails with great views along the Hwy 61 trek, would be much obliged to have them. Meanwhile, is this the Oberg Loop?:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAHcGOlk!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMjAwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110909&ttype=recarea&recid=41653&actid=50&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110130000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003705&pname=Tofte+Ranger+District+-+Oberg+Mountain+Trai

The link above says it's 'easy access' but can you give me a sense of much uphill/downhill is involved? One of my teens has some physical challenges that can rear up on any given day so I like to know what to expect.

Also, if the day isn't a good one for above mentioned teen, am also wondering about the views from the Lusten's aerial tram -- anybody know?

Best to all, Gams

Minneapolis
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biting bugs

OBerg Loop has about a 20 min uphill gentle switchback incline to the top

But once at the top you loop in a circle to the vistas

It's my favourite and we kick off each Oct vaca with it

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
830 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biting bugs

I just got back from Grand Marais about 2 hours ago, had a great time and only got bit by 1 mosquito. The bugs were not bad at all with just a little bug spray. I did not see any biting flies.

We hiked the 3 mile Lookout Mountain loop at the Cascade River State Park. The water falls are great and there is great view of Lake Superior from the top of Lookout Mountain. Cascade State Park is a few miles South of Grand Marais.

Mountain.http://superiorhiking.com/cascade-river-loop/

North Dakota
Level Contributor
429 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biting bugs

Hello:

As the other posters have said: bring some repellent and you will be OK. I wanted to comment on what I would recommend a 1st time visitor should do:

The state parks along the North Shore are wonderful: Make sure that you stop at Gooseberry Falls (you can do short hikes there). Tettegouche State Park has a rest stop area that you can do very short hikes and just looking at Lake Superior from there is wonderful.

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is also wonderful a great to see your 1st visit.

From there you have Temperence River and Cascade River State Park.

You could spend several days just visiting the state parks. Also, you should try hiking on the Superior Hiking Trail if you have time. The trail goes through most of the above state parks.

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biting bugs

Hey, many thanks to all! Packing bags as I type and will be on plane at the crack of dawn but will check for updates, should there be any, when we land. Glad to hear the bugs are in retreat for now.

Gams

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biting bugs

For the record, we were eaten alive by deer flies on the morning of July 21 at Splitrock Lighthouse. It was particularly bad right on the lakeshore. But to be honest, we were probably under repellant-ed.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
851 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biting bugs

Mosquitos are usually in full retreat by now. But as every one says bring some spray with just in case. (Use on your clothes, & hat, not on your skin).

The link you provided is the Oberg Trail Loop. As I recall, it has some switchbacks to get you up to the top, don't recall it being too steep. But there are some serious drop-offs once you are on the top.

Here is a link to some more trails;

www.northshorevisitor.com/hiking-trails/

How long are you staying in Grand Marais? There are other trails inland along the Gunflint Trail, short hikes like Honeymoon Bluff and Caribou Rock, or longer hikes also. (Magnetic Rock). Just to name a few.

If the kids are into history, take them to Grand Portage National Monument. And just up the road is the Grand Portage State Park which has the highest waterfall in MN.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biting bugs

Thanks everyone! Once I get the teens out of bed and out of the dougthnut shop, a hiking we will go. Its just beautiful up here!