We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Park Rapids...
4 posts
Save Topic
mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

I have gone to Duluth as a young girl and have some very nice memory's. Unfortunately I am unable to ask my separated parents any questions. Can someone please tell me the best places to camp in a tent that is close to many of the great things to do in Duluth. If possible a place with toilets and showers and a place we can enjoy with 2 young children. Also does anyone know some of the prices for these places and prices for things to do? Any thing you can tell me will help and will be gladly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

I think the two closest campgrounds to most of the Duluth attractions are the municipal one at Spirit Mountain and a private one called Indian Point on the St. Louis River that is right behind the Munger Inn. Both are on the south side of Duluth, actually fairly close to each other (although not by road). Here is the site for the Spirit Mountain one. Stayed there several years ago and it was fine. Have not stayed at Indian Point but both places have the facilities you want.

http://www.spiritmt.com/campground.aspx

Park Rapids...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Thanks so much great information. Your the best

Duluth, MN
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Indian Point would be a nice spot along the St. Louis River. http://indianpointcampground.com/ip_home.html It is right across the street from the Lake Superior Zoo so it would be nice for kids. It''s a little drive to get to the Mall area or downtown (plus the I35 construction) ... probably no more than 20 minutes from any location in the city of Duluth.

A different option could be Jay Cooke State Park. …state.mn.us/state_parks/jay_cooke/index.html It's about 20 minutes outside of Duluth but being a new camper this year, we have had good luck with State Parks.

Enjoy!!

Park Rapids...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Thank you SOOOOOOo Much

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

I can't help with the camping questions, but I just love this webcam, that shows the canal. And if you click on one of lthe links at the top, it will show you the scheduled boat arrival and departure times. Even over the internet, watching a 1000 foot long boat go through is a treat. I sometimes take a peek from work.

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam_large.htm

Edited: 11:40 pm, July 13, 2010
Park Rapids...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Can you park some place for free to go to the vista fleet, aquarium, zoo that kind of stuff? Thanks so much

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

Canal Park is pretty heavily used, There are plenty of ramps and pay lots, and there is lots of street parking along Canal Park Drive and Lake Avenue. I'm not sure if it is free or metered, but my recollection is that it is pretty cheap if it is metered. I think there is a park to the 'right' of the aquarium that has free parking

Minnesota
Level Contributor
371 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

The zoo is in western Duluth and has free parking in a lot adjacent to the zoo. The aquarium, lift bridge, Canal Park, etc. are all located further east, on the Lake. During tourist season I don't believe you are likely to find any convenient free parking, although if you park at Fitger's Inn/shopping center, parking is free with purchase at one of the shops or restaurants there, and it is a short, scenic walk along the Lakewalk from Fitger's to the main Canal Park sites. Plus the best malts in town are next to Fitger's at the Portland Malt Shoppe!

9. Re: mother of two young children looking to camp aug. 13,14,15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 18, 2011