We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Mount Vernon...
2 posts
Save Topic
car rental

If staying at Ludlow's is their any reason to rent a car?

6 replies to this topic
Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

I've never been there, but think of this as a resort on an island that is a l.....o.....n .....g ways from civilization. How are you getting there and back without a car?

Mount Vernon...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Like you said you've never been there so to advise with no knowledge why bother. It's like 33 miles to the resort so a cab will do the trick, but is there any reason we might rather rent a car for any think else close in the area ???

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

Wow.

I've never been to Ludlow's Island. But I have been all over northern Minnesota. And I don't recall the last time I saw a cab. And car rental seems a little dicey too.

Good luck on your trip

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

Rikkasdad, I applaud your very polite response to that unpolite statement. I guess some people don't realize that we like this place to be a courteous and helpful forum without the nastiness one finds elsewhere.

Apparently the OP has transportation all set up within 33 miles of the Ludlow's shore parking lot.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

When are your going? How are you getting there? How long are you staying?

Okay....my 2¢.....Cook is in the middle of nowhere. really. gorgeous, but really out there. Maybe no cell phone service when you are there. Perhaps a deer or two for entertainment. Do you fish?

Have you spoken with your resort regarding transportation,etc?

They will give you a lot of information regarding what you get and what you need.

Where are you coming from? What are your expectations?

There really aren't any cabs up there on the range for the most part. If so, one cab ride up there might cost the same as a weekend rental. Do you drive?

Car rentals in MN aren't that expensive. Maybe you will want to check out some of the beautiful local attractions.

I mean that seriously. I frequent Orr (20 minutes north) often and would be willing to provide more information if wanted.

Good Luck

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

How are you getting to the Cook area? The only reason I could see you wanting to rent a car would be to go to a place like Fortune Bay or taking a day to go to Ely to shop. But I guess I don't understand how you are getting to Ludlow's in the first place and where exaclty you are coming from?

Reply to: car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cook
Recent Conversations