We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

Which Brainerd hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amarillo, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

We are planning a trip to the Ely area in July '12. Where in Minnesota can I find the biggest, baddest Muskie to catch? I know there are thousands of lakes in Minnesota. Where do the locals go to catch the big Muskies? Which lake(s) have the best reputation for catching numbers of Muskie as well as the big ones?? Is that the $64,000 question?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

You're in a great spot to do it by staying in Ely. Just west of Ely is Lake Vermillion. Very good muskie water.

If you are up for traveling farther, I believe the top muskie waters in MN are (no particular order):

Leech Lake

Lake Winnibigoshish

Lake of the Woods

St. Louis River near Duluth

But Vermillion is very good muskie water and has been hot this year. With it being close to where you will be in Ely, I think that is the spot.

Will you be using an outfitter or do you have the gear?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

Might want to hire a guide. Vermillion is a big lake. Fished it numerous times and it's been amazing how much better I do when I'm with someone who actually knows what he's doing and where to go. This is just with an avid fisherman friend. I would guess a local guide would improve your chances even more if you really want to catch a muskie.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

If I were looking for a really big muskie, I'd hit either Vermillion or Lake Mille Lacs. A potentially record mskie has been caught and released in Mille Lacs. But since you are going to be in Ely, I'd vote Vermillion.

Google Lake Vermillion Guides

Edited: 10:42 pm, July 31, 2011
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

Yes I also recommend using a fishing guide if you're able. A friend of mine used to be a guide one summer in north central Minnesota, big fisherman just looking for something to keep him busy for a summer. Specifically heard he took a lot of people out for muskies, from what I heard seemed like he got them a big one almost every time

5. Re: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:58 am, September 25, 2011

Reply to: Help! I Want to Catch a Muskie!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted