We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July trip

Which Bloomington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
July trip

We are discussing a trip to the Mall of America in July. It would be my husband and our two children both under the age of 7. Any suggestions for hotels? activities? discounts? restaurants? Basically any help would be appreciated as neither of us have ever traveled to Minnesota. Any areas we should stay away from?

Thanks

Lino Lakes
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: July trip

With your kiddos in tow I would suggest the MN Zoo and the Children's Museum.

Check rates for the Waterpark @ Mall of America. They offer midweek rates which includes waterpark admission.

If you are coming around the 4th of July there are a lot of events going on. Check with explore minnesota for more info.on hotels, events and activities

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July trip

Not knowing your transportation mode, I'd suggest the Cihldren's Museum in St. Paul and/or the Science Museum (also in St. Paul).

Being at the Mall of America, you can get a cheap train (35-40 mins, though, but kids always seem to like trains) to downtown Minneapolis. There is Block E, full of arcade games, a movie threater and bowling. You could break up the train ride by stopping at Minnehaha Park to see the waterfall and spend some time at wandering the old scenic park, with options for ice cream and a stop at the playground for the kids.

I always suggest Minnehaha Park because it's very memorable and very free.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July trip

Thanks for the information. I looked at the exploreminnesota website last night and it did have some good info. I'm still wondering about lodgin though...any ideas??

Thanks

Burnsville, MN
Level Contributor
539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July trip

I would recommend staying in either Eagan or Bloomington. Bloomington is right next to the Mall but if you want to visit places such as the museums in St. Paul and the zoo, you'd probably prefer staying in east Bloomington as it's closer to those attractions. Many of the listed motels are in the west Bloomington. Eagan is a suburb that's convenient to (in between) the Mall and the Zoo, and just a short drive on 35E to St. Paul. Eagan motels seem to be a bit cheaper than Bloomington, and there are lots of convenient restaurants. There are very few unsafe places in the metro area, but the South Metro is particularly safe.

Bloomington , MN...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: July trip

Hi,

Minnesota is known for its Friendly Cities. Hotels in the Bloomington area are all pretty nice. The MOA has plenty of activities. Discounts: Look up the www.saveandsupportdiscountcard.com for an unbelieveable discount card which supports our troops and has $280 in 2 for 1 savings for $20. You can't go wrong with purchasing these cards and best of all this supports our troops. Have Fun!

6. Re: July trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 pm, May 07, 2007
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July trip

Indygal,

Some of the above suggestions are really good.

Yes check out the rates at Grand Lodge WaterPark of America. Other Bloomington hotels would be all fine. Someone suggested Eagan, thinking about it might be a good option. There are a couple hotels near 35E & Yankee Doodle Rd. Might be cheaper than ones on the Bloomington strip and only about 15min from Mall of America. Check for hotel shuttle to the Mall of America at whatever hotel you choose - most offer it. The Mall also has Toddler Tuesday with extra activities for the kids.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/

With the kids you could do the Science Museum & Children's Museum both in downtown St Paul. I don't know why no one has suggested Como Zoo. My kids like it better than the MN Zoo. Como has the more traditional animals than the MN Zoo does. Oh yeah and its FREE! They do have a donation box. It also has the revamped ComoTown with kids rides (for a price). Como Zoo is a little NW of downtown St Paul.

http://www.comozooconservatory.org/

http://www.comotown.com/

Now from the Mall of America you can ride light rail to downtown Mpls instead of trying to navigate and park. I too vote for getting off at Minnehaha Park to stroll, let the kids play, and see the falls. Light rail takes you right to the Metrodome. You could catch a Twins game if you're into baseball. Just a few blocks north of the dome is one of our newer museums, Mill City Museum. My 8yr old went there for a school field trip a couple of months ago and is still talking about it. Our new Guthrie theatre is close by and sports free spectacular views of the Mississippi River. Also downtown is Nicollet Mall, neat shops & restaurants, but not much for the little ones. Block E, Hennepin Av, & Warehouse District are probably not for your interests with the kids along, unless you need a t-shirt from the Hard Rock Cafe or seeing something at the Target Center, Orpheum Theater, or the State Theater.

http://www.hennepintheatredistrict.org/

I too have little ones we travel with and I would only do 2 maybe three places a day. Maybe the Mall of America and swimming at your hotel for one day. You also need to enjoy your trip.

Now you probably won't need to be in the areas of north Mpls, south Mpls near Franklin or Lake streets and the fore mentioned places above. You should also have no reason to go to parks at night, otherwise use common sense. Here in the Twin Cities I have not feared for my life in any area.

Bloomington , MN...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: July trip

I found a wonderful Discount Card which has both The Water Park and Underwater Adventures at MOA. It cost only $20 and has 24 Buy 1 Get 1 Free discounts (22 restaurants) in Bloomington. The card was created for a Charity called Sew Much Comfort which sews Adaptive Clothing for the soldiers who are injured. The cards are available at multiple locations in and around the Bloomington MOA Areal. Here is their website.

www.saveandsupportdiscountcard.com

Minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: July trip

We are planning to go to Twincities..There are lor off things to do for fun tonight..

http://www.twincitiesfun.com/

Level Contributor
402 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July trip

Hello,

When we come shopping to Minnesota from the UK every January we always stay at the Quality Inn & Suites Bloomington ( Formally the Holiday Inn Express ) and have never been disappointed.

They have a nice indoor pool, free continental breakfast and they are five minutes walk to a large Wall Mart that is behind the hotel.

A denny's restaurant is attached and with a free shuttle service to the mall there is no need for taxis etc.

They also do family rooms with two double beds.

The children will love the theme park in the Mall but I will say we visited St Paul once and found it a little bit disappointing but I am sure in July there will be more things to do than in January when the snow was thick.