We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Hi there!!

Am planning to visit NZ in late Nov. And am a little concerned whether I have allocated enough time for the catlins section of the trip.

Itinerary as follows:

Christchurch - 3 nights (arrive in afternoon)

Tekapo - 2 nights

Mt Cook - 1 night

Queenstown - 2 nights

Te Anau - 2 nights

Riverton - 2 nights

Curio Bay (or thereabouts) - 1 night

Kaka Point (or thereabouts) - 1 night

Oamaru - 1 day

Christchurch - 2 nights

Am a little concerned that too much too see between curio bay and kaka point to reach hotel early enough - we got small kids, and my parents with us, so would rather not arrive too late, so we don't tire either out.

Advice? O comments about other parts of trip are welcome too :)

27 replies to this topic
Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Actually was thinking of bringing the kids to Waimate to see if there are any places we can go Pick-Your-Own - definitely something we can't do back home. And there is this place called by the unusual name of EnkleDooVery Korna where you can hold a baby wallaby - a definite draw for my animal crazy daughter!

But I must admit I was wavering between waimate and oamaru which does sound rather quaint. I suppose it will partly depend on which place has the more interesting lodging. Anybody got recommendations for lodgings for oamaru & dunedin?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

It is only a 3hr drive between Oamaru & ChCh....plenty of time to duck into Waimate, & do the things you like, before continuing on...

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Hmm.. was wondering what do you think I should bring the kids & old folks to see in Dunedin? Umm.. I was thinking maybe the Albatross colony but.. then again.. am not too sure they will be interested in seeing or trying to catch sight of flying birds after all the other wildlife they had been catching sight of in the catlins.The castle, well, I'd rather bring them to see them in Europe.

Other way is, as some suggested, to spend an extra day in catlins/SSR instead of 2 days in dunedin. hmm.. athough.. am not sure what else i would see in catlins/SSR too.. :p

Here's what I'm doing now..

Sun

- set off from Te anau

- Lake Manapouri

- Tuatapere

- Gemstone Beach

- Monkey Island

- Cosy Nook

- Colac Bay

- Riverton (stop)

Mon

- Bluff/Invercargill

Tue

- set off from Te Anau

- Mokotua

- Ashers

- Gorge Rd

- Fortrose

- Waipapa Point

- Slope Pt

- Niagara Falls

- Mclean Falls

- Cathedral Caves

- Lake Wilkie

- Tuatuku Bay

- Tahakopa Bay

- Back to Curio Bay (stop)

Wed

- Frances Pillars

- Papatowai

- Purakaunui Falls

- Jack's Blowhole

- Surat Bay

- Cannibal Bay

- Nugget point

- kaka Point / owaka (stop)

Thur

- Balclutha

- milton

- lake Waihola

- Taieri Mouth

- Tunnel Beach

- Dunedin (stop)

In retrospect, I think I'm spending a lot of days there already!!! Maybe I should do 3 days in queenstown instead of 2. Or is there anything I'm totally missing since I stuck mostly to the coast?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

trying to achieve so many things in one day will result in a rushed blur. When I take friends to the Catlins we do just two or three things which is plenty.

Sometimes less is more :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Well, some of the places I suppose I would prob just pass through - like

Mokotua, Ashers, Gorge Rd.. umm.. maybe I should amend to show only those sights we lingering over...

Sun

- set off from Te anau

- Lake Manapouri (just a brief stop, cos they said is one of the best lakes)

- Gemstone Beach

- Monkey Island

- Cosy Nook

- Colac Bay

- stop for night at riverton

Might be better pick just one of either Monkey Island, Cosy Nook or Colack bay - anybody can give a rough idea which would be good for kids?

Mon

I have an option of Riverton, Invercargill or Bluff. Would appreciate some feedback about which is a better choice? Only think I know is should try the Bluff oysters! :p

Tue

- Waipapa Point

- Slope Pt

- Mclean Falls

- Cathedral Caves

- Back to Curio Bay/Porpoise Bay (stop)

Ok, this might be a little much i guess.. any ideas on how to break it up? Maybe add another day in between to do Mclean & cathedral caves ? And if had to pick one, which better? Purakaunui or Mclean Falls?

Wed

- Purakaunui Falls

- Jack's Blowhole

- Surat Bay

- Cannibal Bay

- Nugget point

Umm.. maybe a choice between Surat or Cannibal Bay? Any suggestions?

Thur

- milton

- lake Waihola

- Taieri Mouth

- Tunnel Beach

Thanks for help!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Just reading your itinerary exhausts me. Maybe choose the specific stops when you're there, after you know what the weather is up to. Keep in mind that many attractions in the Catlins involve a fair bit of driving from the main road. Most involve walks too...for instance, it's a 30 minute walk to Jack's Blowhole (and there's a steep bit) and a 10 minute walk to Purakaunui Falls, after you drive back there. You'll need to walk through some bush to get to Surat Bay too - it's about 45 mintutes return. The walk to Slope Point is about 2 km return, All of this takes time.

Purakaunui Falls is beautiful, especially after rain. I've still not made it to McLean Falls, so can't compare the two.

Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!

Ok Thanks for the feedback! Hmm.. ok looks like I need a bit more work here...

Reply to: Need help with Catlins Itinerary!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southland Region