We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Hi all!

I'm so excited to come to Traverse City for the first time, and am looking forward to a nice relaxing getaway. I'm looking for a place to stay that's near the water, has a fireplace and doesn't have a ton of kids running around. My husband and I are planning on coming up in the middle of September. We'd love a cottage atmosphere, not too sure about staying in a B&B as we've never done that before. (isn't it like staying at someone's house?) We're looking for beautiful landscape, clean accommodations and access to all TC has to offer. Please send any recommendations my way!

Thanks!

Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
#2 of 40 hotels in Traverse City
Bayshore Resort
Bayshore Resort
#6 of 40 hotels in Traverse City
Pointes North Beachfront Resort Hotel
Pointes North Beachfront Resort Hotel
#10 of 40 hotels in Traverse City
Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Sorry, I'm probably not much help here. Here would be my suggestions. They aren't everything you're looking for, but maybe a start especially if no one else responds here. I love Traverse City, but we always have our kids in tow, so we haven't stayed at any of the places that I mention below.

Tamarack Lodge:

http://www.tamaracklodgetc.com/lodging-main.htm?pagesel='./rooms-2.htm'

Chateau Chantal - or - Chateau Grand Traverse:

http://www.michigan.org/travel/lodging/more.asp?m=6;0&distance=20&city=G2740&display=10

(I couldn't access Chateau Chantal's website currently, but the above link will give you some information. I know you mentioned you didn't want a B&B. Friends of ours stayed here and said it was more of a quaint hotel atmosphere).

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
Grand Traverse County, MI
Tamarack Lodge
Tamarack Lodge
215 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

My husband and I are looking at Chateau Chantal for a romantic weekend. They have wine tasting events. It is located on Mission Penisula so it is not in downtown Traverse City but it is close. You might want to give it a try.

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Chateau Chantal is a beautiful place but you should be aware that the odds of getting a weekend available are very slim on short notice. They book up months in advanced. You may be able to find something during the week available other wise you are probably looking into late November before a room is available on the weekend. Gorgeous place though. Worth a day visit to the winery if you stay else where in Traverse City. Enjoy your trip. Fall is a beautiful time to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

i would go to www.vrbo.com . I have been looking myself and found lost of quiet places.

Lake Orion, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Just a quick update - we went to Traverse City last weekend (Sept. 9-12) and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel, as opposed to some of the vineyards or b&b's. We were pleased we did that, it gave us a little more money to spend on wine and cherry pies. We had such a great experience that we'll be sure to come back. The hotel room was great, had a wonderful room with it's own patio and chairs leading to a sweet little courtyard. The room was away from stairs and elevators (as requested) and they honored my request of having extra towels and pillows in the room. The cleaning staff also left a nice welcome note wishing us a good stay, on which they used our names (how impressive!). We were pleasantly surprised and would go there again.

We did visit the Chateau Chantal and were impressed and would consider staying there at a future visit.

Thanks for the posts and recommendations!

Happy traveling!

k

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

Hope this suggestion's not too late. . . we spent a little time at The WhaleBack Inn, not too far outside TC, one mile south of Leland. We don't often stay at inns or B&Bs--my hubby finds them "claustrophobic," but he like the Whaleback! And, rates are down after Labor Day!

Mentioned in this post
Whaleback Inn
Whaleback Inn
124 Reviews
Leland, MI
Kingsley, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

On your next visit you may want to check out the CherryTree Inn. It is on the east bay and after Labor Day offers some nice rates. The accomodations are very nice as most rooms have a kitchenette and it is located right on the water.

8. Re: Romantic Getaway Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City