We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Michigan
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2 couples in 40s looking for live music

We'll be back up in a couple weekends and were wondering if there are any live music venues in the downtown area for a Saturday night. Since we're all in our 40s we're not looking for hard rock, but most other genres would work. We're looking for a lively venue (think good beer and upbeat crowd) as opposed to a quiet 'coffee shop' type setting. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Some to consider: Union Street Station, The Workshop, InsideOut Gallery, Kilkenny's There is a free local weekly paper called The Northern Express which is a great resource for live music in the area. Have fun!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

I agree with the recommendation to pick up a copy of the NEx. It's really the only info there is for a complete list of happenings. It's available in area bookstores, the library, etc.

For specific venues, the above omits one of the best if your focus is the music - Phil's on Front. It's a resto, but also a bar and has arguably the best female voices in town, who alternate performing there every weekend. Another name for you is Little Bohemia, where there is also a band every Sat. And though we sometimes go to Union Street, the crowd is mostly younger...and I don't think "upbeat" would be quite strong enough. Again, pick up a copy of that paper and check out the offerings for your specific weekend. It's distributed every Sat/Sun and covers the following week and weekend.

Michigan
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Great info, guys, thanks. I also found that the Northern Express has an on-line version. Looks like a great resource. Looking forward to next weekend.

Thanks again,

Dave

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Yes, the online version is a good resource, but not for answering your question, unfortunately. There is a page inside the print version called "Nightlife." It lists all of the spots and dates of who's playing, and it gives region-wide coverage. That's the page you will want to read for your trip if you want to know what's up beforehand. Or you can contact the above-mentioned places. Or you can feel free to come back here and ask us, as long as it's at least the Sunday before your visit...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Oops - Missed your info about it being next weekend. I'll put something up for you next week if you'd like, or maybe PM you rather than do it on the forum here....

Michigan
Level Contributor
768 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

A forum update would be great. That'll help us out, and might be useful for someone elso on TA. Thanks again for heping us out.

Now, if you could provide us a nice Indian Summer next weekend...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

That's not looking good right now, I'm afraid. The best I can do would be to let you know about Thursdays at the Holiday Inn. That's where the very best band plays - The Bohemians - and it's sure where we'll be. But if you can't make it until Saturday, that won't do you much good either...Sorry.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Can't believe I forgot Little Bo's. My dad plays there sometimes. :) And you are right about Union Street. Haven't been there in a long while, but stopped in last night and holy cow did I feel old!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Just wondering...Isn't anyone else up here - 40's or not - looking for some good music?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 couples in 40s looking for live music

Here's this Saturday's lineup. For a sample, I'm pretty sure you can do a search for the groups:

Little Bohemia - "Halloween w/Corvairs

Kilkenny's - "Soulpatch"

Phil's on Front - "Miriam Pico & Al Jankowski"

Workshop Brewing - "Halloween w/Jake Allen

A couple of other spots (Holiday Inn, Turtle Creek) list a Halloween party for that night.

Have fun!