We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan Road Trip

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Haven, CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Michigan Road Trip

Hi, We are doing a Michigan road trip at the end of August. Landing in Detroit, hitting Ann Arbor, Frankenmuth, and Mackinaw City. Trying to decide if we should spend a night in Traverse City and then head to Grand Haven and fly out of Grand Rapids. Or spend two nights in Traverse City and fly out of TC.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
280 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michigan Road Trip

Would stay in TC. It is a lovely city, with lots to do.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michigan Road Trip

You would really like either of them, esp with that amount of time. You'd have no trouble finding things to do. But I have no idea what the difference in air prices would be, if that's a factor. However, I am sure that a move in hotels from TC to G would take a big chunk out of the day. Wih that in mind, I'd choose a 2-day stay in one...but you'll have to do some research to decide which.

I don't want to go too far here, but Frankenmuth and Mac C - while both nice enough, I suppose - arent on most "Top 10" lists for Michigan, esp compared to the other 3 spots you chose. Family get-together, maybe?

West Haven, CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michigan Road Trip

Thanks! Frankenmuth has been on a bucket list for one of us because of Bronners. That is an overnight on way to Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island. Really just trying to get a "flavor" of Michigan so doing a 5/6 day road trip. Ending on the Lake Michigan side.

West Haven, CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michigan Road Trip

I am happy to take suggestions if other than TC or Grand/South Haven would be a better choice. Wanting to relax, see the beaches and area.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michigan Road Trip

No, now that we know the Island is on the list, it makes a lot more sense. I think your choices of TC or GH are excellent - As said, I think you will love either one. The only other suggestion I might have is that from AA to Fr is pretty close, and it's not really very far from AA to Mac C. You could easily do Bronner's as a stop - before or after lunch - then spend that night on the beach in MC, ready to go to the Island the next day. You said 6 days, which is 5 nights...not much time. At least 1 in AA, then 2 in Mac C (1 before the island, then another after - if not on the island itself), then either 2 in TC or 2 in GH is the way I'd structure it...At least to hit the main spots and still have a "vacation" feel to the week. Again, that's depending on where you fly home from. Whatever you decide, it should be a lot of fun.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
118 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michigan Road Trip

I think you plan misses a couple of of the best thing Michigan has to offer. Unless you are going to Ann Arbor for a specific reason, I would skip it and go to Dearborn instead for the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. If you have any interest in art, spend half do a day at the Detroit Institute of Arts.

You can still visit Frankenmuth/Bronners on the way to Mackinaw City from Dearborn.

My vote for your final destination is Traverse City. Lots to do there... Wineries, shopping, dining, short drive to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Harbor Springs, Petoskey, and Charlevoix are also great towns on the Lake Michigan side.

Edited: 1:52 pm, July 06, 2013
West Haven, CT
Level Contributor
72 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Michigan Road Trip

Great suggestions. I picked Ann Arbor to see Pres Ford library. Plan to fly into Detroit the night before and hit the library when it opens at 9. So, still possible to do Bronners as a stop and hit Mac City later that day? I think the plan is to stay at the Lighthouse Hotel in Mackinaw City.

Great ideas. Thanks for all your help. I may rearrange based on this.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,278 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Michigan Road Trip

Yes, you can see GF library in AA in AM, then it Bronner's mid-afternoon, then head to MC for the night. Busy day, but possible. I'd spend 2 nites TC and fly out of there, if possible.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Michigan Road Trip

Ha-ha. Is it doable in a day? Definitely - it's only about 4 hours from AA - but that's gonna depend on the "one of us" who needs to get to Bronner's. I've never been, but from what I've heard, it can be quite a "project." Good luck with that. Also, if you decide to go back from TC rather than GR, or just spend a night there, it's just a bit more than 2 hours fro Mac C. You could do the island during the day, then be in TC that night....But that day would be another long one.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Michigan Road Trip

While I am definitely partial to the Traverse City area, I know there is a lot to see all over Michigan, especially Northern Michigan. I think you should take some time to find out what kinds of activities you want to do, because I definitely wouldn't miss Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc. I am interning this summer at MyNorth.com and they have these awesome vacation guides that show all the things to do in all the cities around Northern Michigan. I'd definitely check them out before you make your final call! mynorth.com/My-North/… Best of luck and enjoy your road trip!

Edited: 12:21 pm, July 15, 2013