We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local foods including smoked fish

sgirlie
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Topic
Local foods including smoked fish

I'm going to be in TC for a few days next week (May 14-16) and want to find the best in the local foods, especially if there's any good places for smoked whitefish. Does anyone know of a store or person who's really good with the seafood in the area?

Thanks!

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

If you are willing to make a 45 minute drive south, check out the Port City Smokehouse in Frankfort. I believe they are open on Thursdays, but call ahead.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

also, there are at least 1 or 2 smoked fish places in leland. i remember getting some maybe 10 years ago and it was good....

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

Cousin Jenny does a good pastie in T.C.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

The foods that say "local" to me in Northern Michigan are the following: smoked whitefish and its delicious cousin, smoked whitefish pate; cherry pie (I prefer crumb topping); planked whitefish; walleye prepared anyway always; pan fried perch; and pasties.

A few restaurants that do some or all of these things well include Apache Trout Restaurant, any of the Boone's restaurants (Long Lake Inn and Suttons Bay are probably the closest but the planked whitefish at Boone Docks in Glen Arbor is my favorite). If you have time or the inclination to drive a bit, the smoked whitefish and whitefish pate at John Cross Fisheries in Charlevoix are legend. So delicate, so fresh, so delicious! I crave it all year long until we arrive in Charlevoix for our annual trip. Then, I enjoy it daily but you must arrive early in the day as the pate sells fast and is frequently sold out by 3:00 in the afternoon. John Cross fresh caught fish (and smoked and pate) are served in restaurants throughout the region and at my table whenever possible!

Enjoy! Moms

Edited: 9:08 am, May 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

Carlson's Fisheries in Leland. Right on the dock in Fishtown. Can't beat it.

6. Re: Local foods including smoked fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 19, 2014