We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10th Anniversary Trip

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10th Anniversary Trip

Hello,

My husband and I will be spending our 10th anniversary in T.C. We have made reservations for the wine dinner at Chateau Chantal as well as Dining in the Vines at Bowers Harbor. Has anyone been to either of these dinners and would you recommend one over the other. Also, does anyone know a good spot for live music (acoustic preferred)? Thanks.

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

The deck at Boone's Long Lake Inn is a good place to catch some acoustic guitar music while enjoying a drink, appetizers, or even dinner. Kilkenny's beneath North Peak Brewery sometimes has acoustic music. Phil's on Front will have live acoustic music as well on select nights.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

They're not acoustic, but for the best music-with-a-view, get to the Holiday Inn Patio and check out The Bohemians - Thursdays, 5-9. Most people leave raving about this band, they are that good. Lots of dancing too, and you can join in if you're so inclined. Just had a great time last night, and we're hoping for another next week.

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

I just heard about the patio last weekend. Is it the same crowd as Shimmer's or is it a little older? Shimmer's is such a 'meat-market' it is making me stay away from The Patio. Or am I mistaken?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

No, you are very much mistaken. The crowd is older, and I cannot stress enough just how good the band is. The musicians and their lead singer, Dawn Campbell, keep the crowd moving from start to finish. And believe me, I know...we are there dancing almost every single week.

And if I may, you also at least partly mistaken about Shimmers. The Bohemians have been playing inside every Thursday for the past two winters, and there is none of the "meatmarket" vibe that might be happening on the weekend or that the room maybe had in the past. It's pretty much the same crowd inside as is out on the Patio during the summer - plus the tourists - who almost always seem to have a great time and wind up raving about the band. In fact, if there's a better group up here, then please let us know. Meanwhile, for us this group is fantastic, and we and our friends are just gonna keep on dancin'!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

One more thought - As I said in my first post, the Patio is the very best "music-with-a-view" venue up here. Nobody else has anything like it, set right there on the water, on the beach, and with a great view to the sunset. Throw in the best band too, and Thursdays are the nights to be there. Plus, Happy Hour is from 5-6 (the band is on from 5-9) So why not come out, have a cold draft or a nice glass of wine, and experience for yourself just how good the Bohemians are. Feel free to say hi if you want - We'll be the ones whirlin' and twirlin' to most every song they do.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
80 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

One other option, if by "acoustic music" you're looking for something more low-key with a coffee house vibe...

The Horizons bookstore often has live singer/songwriter folks on Fridays and/or Saturday evenings. Right downtown, too.

Here's their link:

http://www.horizonbooks.com/

Also, last time we were there on late on a Friday night, Phil's on Front had a very good bar-type act (electronic keyboardist with female vocalist). Don't know if they're a regular draw or not. A decidedly older crowd, though, FYI.

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

Thanks PlayaGuya! We'll have to check it out. I love first-hand recommendations. I know we ended up at Shimmer's on a Saturday night a year or two ago and felt 100 years older than the majority of the people and had way too many clothes on :) And we are only in our late 30's/early 40's

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

Two comments - Never been to Shimmers on a Sat night - or Friday for that matter. I can only recommend the Bohemians and Thursdays. But if it's important, we have been to the Patio on weekends - with no "meatmarket" issues.

Phil's on Front - Yes, they do indeed have a "keyboardist" - His name is Al Jankowski...he actually plays a variety of different instruments to go with that keyboard, esp the saxophone..and is a huge part of the Bohemians. And while Horizon Books does have musical offerings, most are a poor substitute compared to other venues around town, if good music is what you're after. If you just want to sit a bit, have a coffee and relax, maybe browse thru some books or magazines, don't really care about the level of talent, then it will do just fine for a relaxing evening. But do know that Phil's is right across the street, so you can easily do both.

9. Re: 10th Anniversary Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, August 21, 2013