We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
135 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

I am considering a condo rental "across the street from the Holiday Inn". Anyone able to comment upon the general neighborhood? My impression is it is a mix of residential and business--sort of like a Jersey shore neighborhood. Anyone know how difficult it will be to cross to the beach? My kids are 10 and 14. Any non-chain restaurants within walking distance you would like to recommend? I've not had good luck locating a home with beach access within walking distance to town that is still available. Any suggestions there are welcome as well. I've never been to Traverse City before.

Thompsonville...
Level Contributor
749 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

The area close to the Holiday Inn varies quite a bit depending on which side of F&M park you are on. I'd feel comfortable staying in either. The neighborhood to the west is full of big stately homes; simply gorgeous. The neighborhood to the east are modest homes. Really, you only have the commercial district on US 31, one block off it is strictly residential until you get to 8th street.

It is not easy to cross to the beach. I wouldn't let my 10 year old do it without me. ONLY cross at the crosswalks!! There is a really odd intersection right there at the Holiday Inn and it is just unpleasant as a pedestrian. You can cross UNDER the highway along the Boardman River which is what I personally would suggest.

Restaurants are something that are not lacking. There are a TON of non-chain restaurants within easy walking distance: starting east and going west on Front Street (sorry if I forget a few, but these are my favorites) Cook's House, Bubba's, Amical, Phil's on Front, Red Ginger, U&I (Bar with good gyros), Hanna, Poppycock's, The Dish, and way down is Lil' Bo's. There is also a new place called The Bay Leaf, and Minervas inside the Park Place.

When do you hope to travel?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
135 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

Sorry, that is an important detail. We will be there the week of either 7/14 or 7/21. Thanks for all the great info!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,255 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

If you have the VRBO number (or Home Away?), we can look at it and tell you more about that specific area. But like UpNorth states, I'd be comfortable staying either side, too. Nice area. Good location.

4. Re: Neighborhood close to Holiday Inn - beach access and condos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 18, 2013