We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Looking for info on best accommodations and stuff to do/eat around town - will probably be up in May and will have our 18 month old with us. She likes to eat too, so let us know good spots that aren't too fancy but have good food, preferably with local spins on things. A.so need info on where to stay - prefer B&Bs but most don't allow children.

Thanks!

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Jolly Pumpkin on Old Mission Pennninsula has great food and is kid friendly... actually, most places are kid friendly! A stop at the children's museum is always fun too!

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

That's a nice time to come with an 18 month old. You may be here in time for the Cherry Blossoms on Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas. The Children's Museum is definitely good. Your child may also like the Discovery Room at Dennos Museum. They have lots of interactive items like a harp with no cords that plays. You'll like it too! I still do! :)

There are tons of places to eat - many that are kid friendly. Jolly Pumpkin is very good - old mansion and the inside is very lumber-baronesque (it was once the home of a lumber baron). You will probably like North Peak Brewing Company, Mackinac Brewing Company, and Blue Tractor. All are downtown and great places with great food for adults and children. You may also like Travino Traverse Wine & Grille. It's a nice atmosphere with lots of selections (pasta, pork tenderloin, NY Strip, etc).

As for a place to stay, I run the Cherry Tree Inn & Suites. Without being too partial, please check out our website and our reviews on Tripadvisor.com. We offer great accommodations for families. Plus, we'll have our new outdoor pool near completion in May. We have an indoor pool and hot tub, free hot breakfast, guest library, HD TV's, and 24-hour Sweet Shoppe.

Hope this helps. Thank you for coming to Traverse City!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Try the Traverse City Comfort Inn, just minutes from downtown with shuttle service so you won't have to worry about traffic or parking. The Comfort Inn is a Platinum Award winner from Choice Hotels each of the last two years and offers a free hot breakfast and a 24 hour indoor pool. May is a beautiful time of the year in Traverse City and our helpful Front Desk staff will give you plenty of options for dining and things to do.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

You might want to check out the beautiful but family friendly Tamarack Lodge. Kitchens, deep tubs, fireplaces, room to spread out.

Almost any rest in TC will be kid friendly and choices are numerous. those previously suggested are all good ones. We wholly 2nd Travinia!

Lots of good playgrounds around TC, a merry go round in the mall (I hope it is still there), lots of good stroller/walking spots, shopping (?), the beach for sand play, parks, etc.

Trenton, Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

I'd definitely stay at the Grand Traverse Resort---pools, video game areas...lots of places to eat in Traverse City. The Blue Tractor downtown is a bar/restaurant that has very good food (Excellent Mac and Cheese); the Omelette Shop Downtown on Cass is excellent for breakfast. The Bayview Restaurant has very good Pizza.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

I give a +1 to both Grand Traverse resort and Tamarack...

As others have said most food places are kid friendly...

Edited: 3:13 pm, January 30, 2012
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Agree with mike42760! Also the restaurant by the lobby is family friendly and the restaurant upstairs on the top floor is not good for younger children but serves wonderful food! If you want to go to that restaurant there is in room baby sitting.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Hi jpack , I really wanted to stay at the cherry tree , I thought that it was perfect for us but when I tried to book, two websites said that it was an adult only hotel, is this correct?

Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Hi never2manyshoes!

No, not at all. I'm so sorry that those sites said that. We are definitely a family friendly, couples friendly, singles friendly, and business friendly hotel. You name it and we're friendly to it except for inappropriate adult-only accommodations. If you could provide those sites that you saw us listed as such, I will work to get that corrected. You may call our hotel for availability at (877) 778-8999. Thank you for your question!

Best,

Jonathan P.

General Manager

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Vacation in Traverse City Area

Fab, Jonathan, thanks. we're not booked in anywwhere yet so will def call for availablilty as it looks a lovely hotel :) It was 2 major sites, so I'll just double check which ones and let you know.