We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

Muskegon, MI
Level Contributor
28 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

So we're heading to Traverse over the weekend, and looking for a great prime rib or steak while we're there. It's been a while since I was up that way, and back then I went to Boone's... However the reviews are looking iffy these days! So any other suggestions?

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

We love the Apache Trout Grill, located right on West Bay. We have had steaks there a number of times and have never had a bad meal, no matter what we have ordered. Service is always very good and we love the atmosphere and decor. I cannot recall going out for steaks anywhere else in TC, so that is all I can recommend.

Definitely off the grid further north is Douglas Lake Bar and Steakhouse.

7314 Douglas Lake Road Pellston

(231) 539-8588

Though I know this is completely out of your way and probably an hour's drive from TC, it is worth it. We ate there this past summer for the first time, and wow, we were so very impressed with the excellent food. They are well known for their somewhat expensive steaks, but they have specials, too, so be sure and call and ask. I highly recommend it for a visit. :)

Midland, MI
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

Just south of the Apache Trout Grill and across the street is Harrington's by the Bay. Some chefs of ATG opened it up this summer. The menu at Harrington's is even larger than ATG, I believe. And their seating capacity is much greater. They are doing a fabulous job. Have not had beef there, but I'm sure they would do a great job -- they have an exhibition kitchen/you can see them cooking and they have a good set up for steaks. Plus they will take reservations, and ATG will not.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

Forgot that Harrington's opened this summer It's across from the water but still supposed to have nice views of the bay. Looks like steak is their specialty along with fresh fish, so may have to give it a try instead of just going to Boone's Long Lake Inn for steak.

michigan
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

We just went to Boone's a few weeks ago for prime rib and we thought it was fantastic. Took awhile to get our food as the placed was packed though.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

That's good to hear. Haven't been there in a while but usually go when we want a nice, BIG, steak.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

Mode's Bum Steer, State Street.

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

I second the Bum Steer downtown. You will think you stepped back into the 70s when you walk in but the steak I had was very good...the place was packed and my understanding is that it almost always is that way.

http://modesbumsteer.com/

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

I've been to Harrington's twice since they opened... not impressed at all. I'd go to Apache or Boone's

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

Good to have another opinion. Haven't been to Harrington's but enjoyed Boone's and Apache also. Want to try Mode's.

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Prime rib/steak in Traverse area

We live in TC. I'm not usually a fan of hotel restaurants either local or when travelling, but Minerva's at the Park Place Hotel is very good and they serve good steaks.