We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Hello! I am planning a skiing trip to Traverse City from Dec 26 to the 29. We are 4 adults and 2 kids and I was wondering if anybody has any advice on where to stay and where to ski? I am trying to choose between the homestead (Fiddler's pond) but I saw a not very encouraging review about it, the Tamarak lodge (great, new, expensive but far from the Crystal Mountain) and the resort at Crystal Mountain (older and expensive but right there). Any opinions would be very helpful.

Thank you for your help!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

What kind of skiiers are you? I love The Homestead, but the skiing's just so so...it's great for beginners or very calm skiiers, the views are fantastic over Lake Michigan but experienced or advanced skiiers will get bored here quickly. Other than skiing, it's a very nice "ski village feel"...the accommodations are nice, restaurants are good and overall the experience is excellent.

I've not stayed at Tamarak Lodge, but love the look of it and I've heard good things. It would be more of a trek from Crystal that I'd personally consider.

Crystal Mountain is great, I've stayed in the Cottages at Waters Edge which were AWESOME, and Wintergreen Condos, which were significantly above average. I wouldn't hesitate to stay right at Crystal.

Why is it that you're going to Traverse City for your ski trip rather than Boyne Falls or Harbor Springs/Petoskey? I've been an avid skiier/boarder for over 20 years and for my money, the best skiing's at Nubs Nob, Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain (in that order). A stay in Petoskey offers a great downtown area for shopping, dining and apres ski as well as a 15 minute drive to Nubs or either Boyne. Both Boynes also offer great lodging options.

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

I would stay right at a resort instead of driving to ski.

Have to agree with Crystal and Boyne Highlands (although the Highlands is farther from you).

illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Thank you for your messages! this is very helpful info. The group I am going with is at a beginner level so I should be ok with Crystal and yes it's closer. Great to know about Nubs Nob for a future trip. Thank you!

illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

For 3 nights Dec 26-29 here were the prices for 6 people:

- The Crystal Mountain Resort $2450!

- The Tamarak Lodge $1200

- The Homestead $720

Through VRBO I just found a new condo with 3 bed/1.5 baths for $150 a night.

Love it! Thanks for your help again!

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Wow. Hard to believe those prices!!!

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Keep in mind that you're coming during the absolute busiest few days of the year for ski resorts...hellweek as we called it when I was an instructor. Crowds and prices will be at their peak. Great nab on that condo, where is it?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Even better skiing if you continue to Canada. None of the Michigan hills are really big. Are you an advanced skier? If so you may be better to hit a seat sale from Chicago and fly to a real hill.

Edited: 11:29 am, September 21, 2011
Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong topic! And I can't remove it. Disregard!

illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

Yes! so expensive! the condo is in downtown traverse city. We will have to drive to Crystal but it's ok (worth it given the price) and we can also check the town and have dinner etc...

10. Re: Skiing in Traverse City with family in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 23, 2012