We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip for a family

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip for a family

Looking for ideas for a summer trip. I have 2 kids (8 and 7) and wonder what there is to do other than beach and sand dunes. Any ideas?

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip for a family

There's a lot of hiking around and I haven't been yet, but there is a small zoo. Also, when we have visited Traverse City in the past, we stayed a couple nights at the Great Wolf Lodge (indoor waterpark) and the rest at a regular hotel.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip for a family

There is so much to do in Traverse City. The beach is wonderful as are the dunes. The zoo is such fun for a half day trip. The town offers some wonderful shopping and restaurants. We like the Brewing Company that is only one block from the Zoo. They have great barbeque.

In town there are many great mini-golf courses. My kids also like the parasailing although your gang may be a bit young for that. There is a drive in movie theatre near T.C. not too far from Interlochen.

Great Wolf Lodge fully justifies its name. It is great!

For day trips, Charlevoix is lots of fun. The beach on Lake Michigan in Charlevoix always has so many great Petoskey stones to collect. My kids love watching the drawbridge go up and down on the half-hour and watch the big boats travel from Round Lake to Lake Michigan.

Heading to the Sand dunes there are other fun activities nearby. From the Public Climb area, go north the South Haven (I think that's what it's called). There is a wonderful public beach for swimming. Take water shoes as it is rocky. Your kids may once again look for Petoskey stones here. They have a clean changing area there where you can change into clothes for a casual dinner in Glen Arbor. We love to go to Boone's for dinner. They have a great outdoor deck area with a bar and live music. The food is classic bar type food with great burgers and whitefish as well as other more appetizer type fair. Don't forget a Blue Moon ice cream cone at the Ice Cream store on the same deck as the restaurant. Finally, don't miss the Cherry Republic store for all things cherry!

We also love Leland just up the road from Glen Arbor. Quaint shops, great ice cream and good restaurants. The public beach is also good.

Other fun day trips from Traverse City include Mackinac Island, Petoskey and Harbor Springs. Check the forum for reviews of these locations.

Have a great time on your vacation. It is a great place for a trip with your kids. We return every year with our three kids. MOMS

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip for a family

In addition to the ideas you have already gotten be sure tohead into town over to the Grand Traverse Pie Company. We were in town--unaware there was a Cherry Festival--and we sampled at least five kinds of pie there before tripping over the one that is hands down the best!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip for a family

With your kids age I would highly recommend the Great wolf lodge. The kids will love it. It is expensive though.

Gladwin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip for a family

Is the zoo still there in TC. That was a really neat place to take the kids, but I heard that they were going to shut it down.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip for a family

I"ve never been to Great Wolf Lodge, but I have 2 neices and a nephew who talk about it constantly. You should consider it for one night. My sister told me if you stay for one night, your pass is good from the time you check in, until midnight the day you check out, so with one nights stay you can get 2 days in the waterpark.