We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is June too early in TC?

Dayton, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is June too early in TC?

Planning a trip for summer 2011 - settled on the week of June 11, I thought - then I remembered how cold it can be (we're in southern Ohio right now, and it's stinking miserable hot). Anyone have any experience with Great Traverse Bay swimming/boating/sunning in early June? Do the smaller lakes (Long, Spider, Mickey) get markedly warmer that early? Should we wait until August?

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Traverse Bay Inn
Traverse Bay Inn
261 Reviews
Traverse City, MI
Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is June too early in TC?

Hello lerzen,

I went to weather underground and looked up the weather from June 11th to June 17th for 2010 and 2009 in Traverse City.

Average high in 2010 was 72°

Average low in 2010 was 57°

Average high in 2009 was 74°

Average low in 2009 was 50°

Mentioned in this post
Traverse City
Traverse City
Grand Traverse County, MI
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is June too early in TC?

Most hotels and such will consider early June to be "off season" yet. That should tell you a lot-lol. It can be very nice, but it can be very chilly, yet, too. If you want to swim, well, I wouldn't plan on staying in the water long at all. And you may not enjoy the beach at all, just too early. But the weather is good for hiking, biking, etc. and you will have good rates yet at hotels. Sort of a toss up. And much smaller crowds.

Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is June too early in TC?

I have been swimming in the bay in TC for 20 years and can tell you that if you want warm water in GT bay, you won't get it until August. The water is certainly swimable in June, but it's quite cold and you won't want to linger--more the in and out "time to cool off" type of swim while sunbathing. Kids are more tolerant and are happy playing in and around the water in June.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
655 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is June too early in TC?

I love TC and SB in June. Less crowds, nice temps. Anything before a week before the 4th of July. Water was always cool in June. But warm days and cool nights feels wonderful to me. Great camping weather.

5. Re: Is June too early in TC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 21, 2011