We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly planning our first visit

Indy
Level Contributor
428 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Possibly planning our first visit

We are looking for a city to visit in this area. Having pinned it down yet but I thought I would get some info. We are traveling from Indianapolis with two daughters 11 & 14. I usually go through a rental agency for a house or condo but I'm having trouble finding one. We will be staying only 3-4 nights so a hotel might suit our needs but we do prefer more space. Something on the water would be great and maybe an outdoor pool. We like looking through shops, scenic drives and good food. Any recommendations for us would be greatly appreciated. We've never been this far north before. We've stayed in Saugatuck, South Haven and New Buffalo. Saugatuck is our favorite because of all the shops.

Front Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mission Point Lighthouse
Lighthouses, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

I would suggest staying at The Park Place Hotel or The Holiday Inn. Both are walking distance to all of the shops down town, with the Park Place a little closer. The Holiday Inn is directly on the water. The Sugar Beach Hotel would be a good choice as well. It would be the nicest of the three and is also on the water.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

You might want to try Glen Arbor or somewhere on the Leelenau peninsula and just make Traverse City a day trip for shopping and wandering around. Your daytrips would be the Sleeping Bear Dunes(easy river tubing, beaches, dune views) , Fishtown (nice shops) and everything else the peninsula has to offer.

If you want Traverse City, you could try the Holiday Inn. It has a decent little pool, but no outside beach area.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

If you like outdoor activities, staying near the dunes on Lake MI and driving into TC downtown, as dgw9 suggested, is a good idea, although I don't know which hotel is best there. Downtown TC is small. You can see it all within a few hours, and there are a lot of great eateries downtown. If you want a hotel close to downtown, I recommend the newer Cambria Suites, a two-minute drive east. Lake MI is only about 35 miles away. Cambria is attractive, clean and cheaper than the beachfront resorts, but it's still close to public beaches. As you mentioned a desire for space, a suite room or connected suites is a good option. Each Cambria suite has a frig, microwave and two TVs. The on-site cafe is good and convenient for a quick meal, especially for breakfast, but for dinner as well. There is an indoor pool, a spa and a fitness center. For quiet, ask for a room on the third floor away from the street and elevators.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

Thanks for responding but our trip was awhile ago. We stayed at Sugar Beach and loved it. I did not like the look of or location of Cambrian Suites.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

Thanks for responding but our trip was awhile ago. We stayed at Sugar Beach and loved it. I did not like the look of or location of Cambria Suites

Edited: 3:29 pm, September 06, 2010
Cleveland
Level Contributor
7 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

Sorry I was late and not very helpful. The Cambria was pretty nice, and I'd still recommend it. I had looked into Sugar Beach also, attracted by the beach location, but some of the very negative comments by some on this site, and the much higher price, pushed me toward Cambria. Was SB clean and odor-free?

7. Re: Possibly planning our first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, March 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City