We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

Which Traverse City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ortonville, Michigan
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

My husband and I will be heading to TC to celebrate our anniversary in a couple of weeks. We are staying at the Wellington. Due to schedules with our kids we are actually staying Saturday and Sunday. I'm trying to decide on dining for both of those evenings. I know there are quite a few nice spots within walking distance but don't mind driving is there is a spot worth the drive. Stella sounds good to me but hubby is a big eater (meat and potatoes kind of guy).

Also, I'd love any advice on a good running area. I know there are great bike trails but wasn't sure if they were runner friendly. I'm training for a half marathon and need to get a 10 mile run in Sunday or Monday morning. Plus, hubby will want to wander out with me in the morning any spot great to get a good cup of coffee and enjoy the scenery early in the morning.

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

I enjoyed my visit to Stella in June. It was a bit different and the cooking was amazing. I highly suggest giving it a try. I am sure there is something on the menu that would please your husband.

Apache Trout Grill is another good one-deck overlooking the Bay, good service, good food.

Poppycock's is also very nice and some consider it quite a romantic stop...I won't comment on that, lol, but I have not heard one negative thing about it.

Amical is also very popular, but I have not eaten there in years.

And then there is Bower's Harbor Inn. It is a beautiful building out on the Old Mission Peninsula; pretty gardens, romantic, expensive. The food? Well, my experience was not that great-but it wasn't bad either. We only went the one time. You might want to look into it.

Have a very nice time-let us know how you like the Wellington-I'd like a recent account of someone's stay there. I have always wanted to stay there.... :)

Traverse City MI
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

The previous post give some good suggestions, but - within walking distance of the Wellington - Downtown: Phil's on Front, Red Ginger & Amical (all within a couple blocks of your lodging and very good) Meat & Potatoes: Mode's Steak House downtown on State Street. Take a Drive: Go to Pearl's in Elk Rapids and, for meat/potatoes, get either the brisket or pork tenderloin (my favorites). Just ask Barb at the Wellington for some suggestions too... she's been in town for a long time. Running/Walking: Use the TART trail system, it runs near the Wellington and is runner friendly. There are a few good coffee shops downtown: Crema, Good Harbor and Espresso Bay... all within a few blocks of your lodging too. Enjoy your stay.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

I second Red Ginger! It was delicious! Great atmosphere- just make reservations! We couldn't get in until 10pm Saturday night, but the film festival was going on so maybe it was busier than usual.

http://www.eatatginger.com/eat.php

Ortonville, Michigan
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

Thanks for the suggestions - both Stella and Red Ginger sound great to me - Bower's sounds more like my husband's spot but not sure how he we feel about the drive. Phil's on front doesn't have a website yet. What kind of food can you expect there? Also any critics on Hannasbisto. We may be taking the tall ship out and would love a good place to pick up a box lunch to take along.

Traverse City MI
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

At the risk of starting a restaurant argument :) - Pass on Bowers; although people love the drive & the setting, Choose Red Ginger over Stella and Phil's on Front over Hanna. Phil used to own/run Windows (now closed) and a couple of other places in the TC area... and it's right across the street from Red Ginger and Amical... so you can look before you eat.

Ortonville, Michigan
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

Thanks - I was happy to get reservations at Red Ginger at the end of Happy Hour and we are looking forward to great food and $5 Martinis. Barb had recommend Phil on Front so we may head there on Sunday.

7. Re: Weekend Getaway for Anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 03, 2010