We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to traverse city

ohio
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
first time to traverse city

We are planning on traveling to Traverse city around Labor Day, we have never been there and would like info on lodging? We would like to go to Mac island while we are there. I will only be there for 2 days so I want to see as much as possible. What are the best things to do when I am in Traverse? Thanks for any ideas. I definitely do not want the most expensive hotel. I have been looking at the Sugar Beach. Has anyone stayed here? Any comments appreciated.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to traverse city

Are you planning on including Mackinac Island within the two day timeframe? If so it really will not be enough time and I would highly suggest staying in Petoskey. Charming town much closer to the island. TC is like a three hour trip each way! If you stick with TC be sure to take a scenic drive to Mission Peninsula and visit the general store on the way to the lighthouse. I also enjoy lunch at Apache Trout Grill by the water then a breathtaking drive to Suttons Bay to shop for an hour or so and have an ice cream before heading back to Traverse. This little town is too cute. A must see. Have dinner (310 is great) and shop downtown Traverse. Enjoy a latte at Expresso Bay (Almond Joy is the best!!) Eat lots of cherry pie. If time permits take a drive to Torch Lake. The water is identical to the Caribbean. Unreal colors. Set some time aside to visit the Village (the old state hospital grounds) and have a meal at Stellas while there. You could always save Mackinac for another trip and do the Sand Dunes instead. you will be happy with the accommodations at Sugar Beach. They do fill rooms very fast in TC so I would try to get your plans in order soon if looking to come anytime within September. Have fun.

ohio
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to traverse city

Thank you for the info. It was very helpful. It seems like there is so much to do I need more time. I am excited to go and check it out.

Traverse City MI
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to traverse city

The prior post give you some great information ~ and I concur that Mackinac Island deserves more time. Even though it's pricey, I strongly suggest staying on the island overnight for the best experience... it'll be dramatically different than a day trip. For a couple of days in TC, think about a full day trip to Leelanau county.. making the M22 drive and visiting Leland and catching a sunset at Pierce Stocking Drive in the National Lakeshore. Sugar Beach & Grand Beach are newer properties with fine lodging, though there are less expensive places (though all are in the midst of their summer pricing). More inexpensive would be those on the other side of the road from the beach and/or those at US31 south and South Airport Rd ~ like Baymont, Fairfield. Apache Trout Grill is very nice... but TC has all sorts of dining choices. Inexpensive local food: try Don's Burgers, Pangea Pizza, Bubba's (both downtown). This is the "Friday Night Live" season when we close off Front Street downtown with some street food and entertainment. Enjoy.

4. Re: first time to traverse city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 06, 2009