We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Planning a last minute trip to TC area with wife and teenage daughter and thinking of Grand Traverse Resort, which still seems to have room available. They have a beautiful website, but recent tripadvisor reviews are decidedly mixed, with lots of complaints about quality of service and dated rooms. We're looking for nice room, nice pool and good access to beach. (Short walk to beach would be fine.)

We won't use spa or golf course. Came across a 2011 thread that suggested Homestead resort in Glenn Arbor. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Look at Google Earth / Google Maps ... the Grand Traverse Resort is really not near Lake Michigan / Grand Traverse Bay.

If you pull up the area on Google Earth you can search for "hotels" and "resorts" and click on them to pull up the web sites ratings, etc. that way you can see where you would be staying ...

The Homestead is on Lake Michigan ... I've not been there in a long long time ...

Edited: 8:28 pm, August 12, 2017
US
Level Contributor
5,397 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Neither of those choices are close enough for my preference to downtown. GTR is kind of just off by itself and pretty much in the opposite direction if all typical tourist activities. The Homestead would get my vote as our normal tourist activities are Sleeping Bear and Glen Arbor outside of TC. Looks nice too. I'd lean most towards something closer to the west bay in TC as a first choice.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,850 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Beach and downtown TC, look at the Holiday Inn Resort.

GT Resort is no where near a beach.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

We ended up at Pinecrest Reef Resort which we liked very much. All of the rooms face the beach and those on the first floor have direct beachfront access. We enjoyed this, but there's less privacy which might disturb some.) Pool is an indoor pool which we never even looked at.

Room was spacious 1BR suite with a full kitchen. Pinestead resort is primarily a timeshare, not a full service hotel -- housekeeping only every other day.

There were several other properties along the same beach as the pinestead which, from the outside, looked functionally identical. If we go back, I'd find out more about these and consider them as well. Pinestead was somewhat expensive $290 / night (though perhaps not unreasonable given that it was high-season and last minute booking.)

One visit to the town was plenty for us. Personally, I wouldn't plan trip around being in walking distance.

to the town.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

That was supposed to read "Pinestead Reef Resort" (not Pinecrest)

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

Thank you for coming back and posting your experience ...

7. Re: Grand traverse resort and alternatives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Traverse City