We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Recommendation

pittsburgh
13 posts
Save Topic
Lake Recommendation

Planning to stay in the Traverse City area in September. Would like to rent a cottage on a lake. Considering Lake George, Spider, or Arbitus. I have never been to the area. Will be there for about 1 week.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Recommendation

How many people and ages? Also what type of activities are you looking for on the lake? Fishing, waterskiing, kayaking, sailing, watching birds / wildlife ?

Crystal, Glen, Lake Leelanau, torch are all beautiful lakes ... I've been on long, but it's been many many years.

Locals will no doubt chime in as to the lakes you mentioned.

US
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Recommendation

What about Sutton's Bay?

Are you looking to do water sports? How do you plan to enjoy the lake? That'll help narrow it down.

pittsburgh
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Recommendation

2 adults We would canoe or kayak. Also plan to do wineries, Traverse City, thevDunes etc

pittsburgh
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Recommendation

I am not familiar with Suttons Bay. I will check it out. Was leaning toward Lake George vs the Boardman River. We do not do any motorized water sports

US
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Recommendation

We rented a great house (and one ok house) in Sutton's Bay. The one we really liked was on Lee Point Rd.. You could see Mission Peninsula and downtown TC. You were right on Lake Michigan but on the Bay. Cute town. My family canoed and kayaked. We had our own sand beach with fire pit.

Lake Leelanau is very nice too.

pittsburgh
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Recommendation

Thanks for the information!

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Recommendation

Crystal Lake, Chimney Corners cottages, private beach, kayaks. Near Platte river for canoe rentals, close to Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Recommendation

Hello,

Here are some additional ideas https:/….

Have fun!

Michigan
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Recommendation

If you are still looking...We have stayed on Long Lake, Spider Lake and Silver Lake, all close to Traverse City. We liked Long Lake, very short drive to TC and our rental there included a canoe. Spider Lake was super mucky along the shore, but our cottage had a rowboat and paddleboats to get out away from the shore. Silver Lake had a nice sandy bottom, but more year round residents than vacation rentals. That rental included kayaks or a pontoon boat for an extra fee.

Edited: 5:20 pm, August 21, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Recommendation

If you're interested in wineries, I would focus on the lakes on the Leelanau Peninsula. Lake Leelanau, Glen Lake, or Sutton Bay would all be great choices with lots of great dining and hiking options all around. To me, Spider Lake and George Lake are all in the wrong direction (and candidly not nearly as picturesque as the others mentioned).

Get answers to your questions about Traverse City