We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traverse City for Washingtonians?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Traverse City for Washingtonians?

We have never been to Michigan before but are thinking of changing up our vacation place this year. We usually go to Rehoboth in DE or Outer Banks in NC, sometimes Montauk, NY. We have made some bad choices in the past when we tried to change it up - Myrtle Beach was sleazy and gross, for example, and Virginia Beach was also pretty seedy. We don't really love places that have that kind of seedy vibe, with a lot of tattooed women and cigarette smoke and screen print T-shirt shops. Looking for something a little more wholesome and family-oriented, or at least clean and pretty. Does Traverse City - or maybe another Michigan beach - fit the bill? We don't need a great beach, but like water activities and having a lot to do, restaurants to walk to, sites to see, etc. Thanks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

Www.beachtowns.org

I think what you're looking for is in st joseph (do you have young kids? Because if you do, st joe is awesome for kids).... also, nearby south haven is great too....

Travers city is nice, but for a real beach experience, you need to be on the open lake.... nearby would be glen arbor, just a short drive from sleeping bear dunes....

Since you're accustomed to vacationing on the east coast, where hotel prices are probably pretty high, you probably won't get lodging sticker shock on the lake michigan shore (yes, prices are high---st joe can be over $200/nite on the weekends).....

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

Just like everywhere else, there are definitely some rednecks and hillbillies in Northern Lower Michigan and the Upper Peninsula (and we love em), but not really any trashy towns in the main tourist areas along the prime areas of the Lake Michigan and on the nicer inland lakes (real estate costs and Michigan's high 2nd home property taxes filter out most of the poor trashy people ... and the trashy people with $$$ aren't too plentiful ;)

mynorth.com/northern-michigan-vacation/…

www.michigan.org

If you are looking for Summer 2017 you're about 6 months late for getting prime lodging during prime dates.

Check VRBO ... The map feature allows you to search areas without know exact names off all the little towns. (most cottages have a 1 week minimum).

Check for hotels / resorts / B&Bs in areas like: Glen Arbor, Leland, Suttons Bay, Northport, Lake Leelanau, Traverse City, Torch Lake, Walloon Lake, Charlevoix / Lake Charlevoix, Bay Harbor, Petoskey, Bay View Harbor Springs, Mackinac Island ...

Airports include: Traverse City (TVC), Pellston (PLN), Grand Rapids (GRR), Flint (FNT), Mifland/Bay City/Saginaw (MBS), Detroit (DTW)

Edited: 6:45 pm, June 22, 2017
US
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

Traverse City is a great family vacation spot. We've gone there more than a dozen times. We originally went because we had family there but continued after they were gone. We've done east coast beach trips but prefer TC to most places. However, we also love Sandbridge, VA (a residential community 20 minutes south of VA Beach- same Strip of land as the Outer Banks and nothing like VA beach...keep it in mind!).

Anyway, TC has all the stuff that makes for a fun vacation. Pirates Cove mini golf, day trips to the open lake (Good Harbor is our favorite beach, Empire second fave), cute towns, great food, beautiful nature, boating...

Worth a visit if you're up for the trip!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

also, lake michigan water temperatures on the eastern shore are already in the hi 60's, and normally get into the mid 70's (or even higher) by july, august and early sept.... very refreshing on those hot and humid days.... and another thing, the Great Lakes are FRESH, with no critters out there to kill or maim you:-)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

If you enjoy wine and vineyards the TC area is a fabulous location. It's not a "seedy" town at all. I'm going on Saturday!

green bay
Level Contributor
125 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

I love Traverse City, but also love Door County, across the lake in Wisconsin. Billed as "the Cape Cod of the Midwest, it's very quaint with wineries, fishing towns, great eats and shops.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

if anything, i would consider the west michigan coast the "cape cod" of the midwest.... while door county is pretty with the quaint towns and such, it doesn't have any decent beaches to speak of (north of sturgeon bay)...and when i think of cape cod, i think of beaches.....

if it weren't for the horrible traffic going around the southern end of lake michigan, i'd say west michigan over door county any day....

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

If you're planning for this summer, even June was late. Traverse City has great beaches and plenty to do. You won't be disappointed. All the towns north of TC on Lake MI are awesome - this region has been (and still is) a popular summer resort area for wealthy Midwesterners for over 100 years; many own vacation cabins and summer homes that they have passed down to their families for generations. Spend a summer evening in a town like Charlevoix, Boyne City, Elk Rapids, Bellaire or Petoskey and you'll quickly see what I mean. In some places, it's like going back in time...

You'll definitely want to come back.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
383 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

I also liked Frankfort. Great sunsets and a lighthouse. Nice dunes on the beach.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,168 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traverse City for Washingtonians?

OP never returned to his thread....let it DIE.............

Get answers to your questions about Traverse City