We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Lodging help please

Which South Haven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Lodging help please

Looking to go to South Haven or St Joseph for a weekend in July and would like to know if anyone has recommendations for beachfront lodging with a pool.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Lodging help please

Most, if not all, of the beachfront properties in SH are privately owned, but several B&Bs on the north side are only 1-3 blocks away from an entrance. The Victoria Resort, Inn at the Park, The Carriage House, Sand Castle, The Last Resort, A Country Place, to name a few.

Ohio
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Lodging help please

Chuck.....Thx....reading through the reviews they all kind of say the same thing.....what to do, what to do !!!!!!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Lodging help please

st joe has the holiday inn express...... it overlooks the Lake, but there is no public beach access. also, it is about 2 miles south of silver beach and downtown.....

for what it's worth, here's my review from last year.........

"We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend, 2010 and overall, liked our stay. We paid $142/nite, taxes included, with a AAA discount. It also included a decent-sized complimentary breakfast. Our spacious room had 2 full size beds, fridge and microwave. The room was clean and recently updated. Our 3rd floor room faced south, nevertheless, we still had a partial view of the Lake, which was a nice touch. In fact, it appears most rooms, unless they are facing directly east, will have at least a glimpse of the Lake. My biggest complaints about our room (and I would suspect the hotel's rooms in general) is it would have been nice to have queen beds rather than full size (there was plenty of room to accomodate queens) and in this day and age, a modern, flat screen TV would be in order. Mind you, these are nitpicky complaints and really shouldn't influence your decision on whether to stay here.

Although this hotel is a bit on the pricey side, you have to remember it's summer, it's Western Michigan, it's St Joe and it's by the Lake, so you're gonna pay. You'll find it to be generally less expensive than the downtown St Joe hotels, but if price is the main issue driving your decision on where to stay, you might be better off at staying in nearby Stevensville, or near the Interstate in Benton Harbor. Or, if you're looking for a romantic, cozy, kid-free place, this hotel probably isn't for you.

It's location is nice because it overlooks the Lake and it's relatively quiet, HOWEVER, it has its drawbacks: there is no public access to the beaches below the hotel. Also, since it's 2+ miles from downtown/Silver beach, on the outskirts of town, it's not really walkable. So you're pretty much forced to drive, ride a bike (no bike lanes on the highway) or get a ride. And finally, even though it overlooks the Lake, there's a rather large Whirlpool Corp. industrial-type building behind the hotel, thus, the above-mentioned east-facing rooms don't have much of a view. Next door, there is a great looking Mexican restaurant, overlooking the Lake. Can't review it cuz we didn't eat there----maybe next time!

The balmy, indoor pool was nice for our young kids (2 1/2 and 4 year old boys). There's a nice grassy area on the hotel property which is great for relaxation. The breakfast was good---not the best I've ever had, but at least it offered protein (eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy). Staff was friendly and helpful.

In conclusion, this hotel is a decent value for what it is. You get newer, solid Holiday Inn accomodations in a good location and a breakfast too boot!"

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Ohio
Level Contributor
512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Lodging help please

Strange trip ....thanks so much for your review, nice to know. I just called and sold out evidently this is the weekend of the Venetian Festival so my search continues but I sure enjoyed your review nice to know for a later date. Thanks again.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Lodging help please

ohiovacation, thanks for the compliments!

last weekend, we stayed here:

http://www.chaletonthelake.com/

i couldn't review it [yet] cuz it's not on TA.

if you do go this route, they're a bit pricy----about $440 for 2 nites. you do get a pool (2 pools, but one was under maintenance when we were there), tennis courts, full kitchen and access to a mediocre beach. it's only 10 minutes from st joe, so that wasn't a problem for us. thing is, the chalets are individually owned, so you don't know what you're gonna get..... ours (#79) was partially remodeled and the interior was rustic..... from what i could tell (and what the lady in the office told me), the chalets closer to the Lake tend to be in better condition---ie more updated.....

hey, there's my review right there^^^^^^^^!

another place i'd like to check out is:

http://www.gintarasresort.com/

it's in union pier, about 20-30 minutes south of st joe. we drove thru it. no pool, but the grounds look good and the area is very wooded.....almost like the Northwoods came all the way down the coast of Lake Michigan!

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Lodging help please

This is probably way farther north then you want to travel but thought I’d throw it out there. It is right on Lake Michigan and there is a private beach for quests. It’s a beautiful place. http://www.innatbayharbor.com

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
824 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Lodging help please

the Lake Bluff is pretty dumpy but has standard hotel rooms and a pool on the bluff with a spectacular view....no beach access though....some of the condos on the lake have pools and have rentals but expect to pay top dollar....sand castle inn condos are a block from the lake and has a pool....its ok looking, i've never stayed there....harboside condos are also about a 1 1/2 blk from the lake and have an indoor pool thats nice on stormy days....and the name escapes me but there are condos off dyckman with a nice outdoor pool that has a big crowd in the summer...

I'd call the tourist bureau and tell them your situation...they're quite helpful

8. Re: Beach Lodging help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 02, 2012