We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

MrsGeorgeSt
10 posts
Save Topic
Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

My friends and I were thinking of going to South Haven the weekend of Sept 18- do you think it will be too cold for the beach??

Chicago
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

Could be great - hard to tell. Do you plan on swimming or just "sunning?"?

The lake is really never that warm and on a 70 degree day, the beach can be perfect.

MrsGeorgeSt
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

yeah, it would be more like sunning... well, I think we'll go and hope for the best!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

I agree. Some of the best days in South Haven are after Labor Day. The beaches are usually empty. I personally have been in the Lake as late as October, but if we get an East wind in September and the temps drop to the 50's it would be a miracle to recover to the 70's. I've also seen temps drop in August and never recover. (I need 70's to go in) I'll just say it's a magical time here; sweatshirts, sunshine, no people, sunsets.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

Sunning will be hit or miss in mid-September. It might be 90, it might be 50. Likely somewhere in between. But if you'd like to enjoy the water, you've got the benefit of an entire summer's worth of heating. Late August-Early September is about as warm as the lake gets. And, it can be fantastic to enjoy the water when the air temperatures cool a bit, as long as you've got a towel and sweatshirt to warm you when you get out.

Kalamazoo
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

There is plenty to do. I am going up for the colors, apples and to pick up pumpkins. South Haven is having a Harvest Moon Festival also in armthe fall. There is always alot to do. It will be okay for picnic and sunning on the beach. If it gets too cold or whatever--there is plenty to do. Rent a bike, visit a farm.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

love the beach at that time of year...sometimes you can't sun...it'll really be cold to swim...but its quiet and lovely then!! do it!!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

i agree, great time if you don't base it entirely on beach/swimming. it can go either way, but as mentioned you should be able to spend time.walk on beach,,,but don't count on swimming. have fun !!!

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

The saying in Michigan has always been,"Welcome to Michigan. If you don't like the weather then just wait a minute because it will change." We've had years where we didn't take the boat and dock out until November and then other years where they had to come out much earlier. Most likely the weather should be in the 60's or 70's but in Michigan you just never know. In my opinion late summer/early fall is the best time to come to Michigan though.

9. Re: Sept 18-Too cold for beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 03, 2010