We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Joseph overnight

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
St Joseph overnight

It would be very convenient for my wife and me to spend the night in St Joseph on our way to Niagara falls. I would like to know if it would be a safe place to drive into, check into a hotel and park our rental car at about 11:00 PM on a night in June.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Joseph overnight

Hello JJREN,

I have never stayed over night in St Joseph but have visited the city. I found the area to be very clean and friendly. I would tell you I would not worry about staying there.

Other may post that have stayed overnight and give you better information.

Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
827 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Joseph overnight

i've been there overnight but just stayed right off the highway...very safe area...the only part that didn't seem safe was it's neighboring city Benton Harbor...I drove thru there to have a look at the beach and the area I wound up in was very economically depressed...the st joseph side is quite a contrast...

I'd post this on the michigan or st joseph forum to get some other opinions...

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Joseph overnight

At exit 23 you'll find a Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn and a Baymont(sp). It's a good area. Lot's of food places and gas stations. You can also exit there and a few miles north, closer to St. Joseph, you'll find a Holiday Inn Express that is just across the road from Lake Michigan. There is no access as it's up on a bluff.

Exit 29 also has several hotels. I'm sure you'd be fine there as it's a "mall" area and most of that area is commercial like Home Depot etc. It is a little more iffy than the exit 23 area IMO.

There are a couple hotels at exit 28 but I'd skip that area.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Joseph overnight

Thanks everyone for your prompt and helpful responses. We'll plan on spending the night in St Joseph.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
986 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Joseph overnight

Hope you have a good night in St Joe. Rono has good advice. Ext 23 would be the best bet for you. Very safe, nice stop off the interstate. If you have some time in the morning drive north on the higway into St Joseph ( about 4-5 miles) and see the lake and cute downtown. Maybe have breakfast& see the light house before heading on to Niagara.

6. Re: St Joseph overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, November 09, 2009