We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing to Canada

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Border crossing to Canada

How long might I expect to wait to cross from the U.S. into

Canada at Sault Sainte Marie? I'm sure the times vary depending

on conditions but just want an approximate guess. Thanks

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border crossing to Canada

All the times we have crossed into Canada, the wait has not been long at all. Coming back into the US is a totally different situation. Into Canada less than 1/2 hour at the most. Back into the US, at least 1 hour, usually a lot more.......

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Border crossing to Canada

10 minutes to two hours. It is impossible to predict. If you get a power-tripping paranoid CBP officer that wants to interrogate everyone it could be longer.

Greater Chicago Area
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border crossing to Canada

Wait crossing in the Soo has alwasy been quick. Never more than 15 minutes even when we have had to go inside to show paperwork.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
580 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border crossing to Canada

I live in the Soo and cross all the time. Most often is 5 to 10 minutes into Canada. Friday afternoon/evening, long weekend, could be 30 - 60 minutes. But that would be rare.

5. Re: Border crossing to Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, January 01, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Sault Ste. Marie