We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Marys River Rock-Cut question

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Does anyone know if there is a way to get up close to the "Rock Cut"? Last year we drove to Barbeau and found the area. We even drove alongside the cut until the road ended. This year we would really like to be able to walk to the passage way IF its even possible. We did not see any pubic walkway or posted trail. We were not comfortable cutting thru private property. We even thought of taking the ferry to Nebish Island to see if we could get close but decided against that idea also. I have found photos of people sitting on the stone edges watching the freighters, so there has to be a way but we couldnt find it. Thanks.

Edited: 2:53 pm, May 09, 2011
Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

I AM SO waiting for an answer for this, doggy1 !! We want to do the same exact thing. So, if I miss a post, IM me, and I will do the same for you. I only discovered this "rock cut" last year and have been planning for a visit this fall to see it. :)

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Will do tyme. I've looked all over the web for info and cant locate any details. We will be up there next week & cant wait!

Manistique, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Manistique, Curtis
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Hello doggy1,

I looked on Google Earth and zoomed in. Looks like most of the shore is private like you said.

You should just sit at The Cozy Corners Tavern & Grill near Barbeau and watch the freighters. ;-)

http://www.cozycornersbarbeau.com/

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Thank You Yooper. There has to be a way. There are just too many video's on You-tube and other posted photos on the web of people sitting on the channel. The only thing I wonder if that they are all on Nebish Island looking down river. I havent given up.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Maybe you could call Cozy Corner's Tavern and Grill and ask someone there, doggy1! I am betting they have an answer to your question. Say something like, " I plan on having dinner at your place this weekend, but wanted to know........!" Hopefully you will get somewhere. Maybe you can run into someone who is out in their yard (the private land) and ask them how to access it, and if there is no public access, then maybe they would let you......!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

We are back from the U.P. I'll post a trip report in a few days but I wanted to comment about the Rock-Cut. It was WONDERFUL! We were at the Sault locks 3 different times. We questioned the volunteers twice about the Rock-cut. Each time we were told the same thing. There is a 2 track driveway kitty corner from the St Marys River Fish & Game club. The public is welcome to walk down the short 2 track to the edge of the river. When we visited, the chain across the 2-track was down. We drove over it and parked our SUV right along the river. There is plenty of room to park and turn around. We spent over 2 hours at the cut. We walked the entire lenght of it. I dont have the county map in front of me, but once you get to the Nebeesh Island Ferry road its only about a mile further. Look for a 2 story stone house and a nice log cabin. The 2 track is right next to the log cabin's property. You can either park on the shoulder or in the Fish & Game club's lot. Or drive right on in if the chain is down.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

That's great you found the spot and we can get there! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see it. I will let you know how it goes for us. Won't be til September, though. :)

What else did you see in the UP?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Sadly the Rock Cut is no longer open to the public. The US Government has closed access to the area.

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Thanks for the information. Is there now a fence or something?

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Marys River Rock-Cut question

Wow, what a surprise and how disappointing. We thought about driving up there in a couple of weeks, just for that purpose. Hopefully Sault answers your question, doggy1.

Get answers to your questions about Sault Ste. Marie