We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chain Ferry Question

New Boston
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Chain Ferry Question

How long is the hike from the chain ferry stop to Oval Beach?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chain Ferry Question

I'm guessing between a quarter of a mile and a half mile. It's a hilly walk and be careful of traffic as there is no shoulder on the road in most places.

Edited: 10:20 am, June 06, 2012
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chain Ferry Question

It's a half mile. Rono is right about the road being kind of tricky to walk. There are other options though...when you get off the chain ferry turn left to Bliss St or right to VanDalson St. Both these short streets dead-end and there are trails that take you towards Oval Beach. It's safer but still hilly...not good if you plan on bringing a lot of stuff. Another option would require you to hike up 300+ steps to the top of Mt Baldhead...enjoy the great views and then walk down the dunes on the backside to the beach.

New Boston
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chain Ferry Question

So, if we are staying at the Bayside in Saugatuck, do you recommend driving or taking the ferry and walking?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chain Ferry Question

Just one or two adults carrying a backpack and sunscreen? I may be tempted to walk. Add children, any physical impairment, umbrella, cooler, beach chairs, etc or a couple of the above and I'd drive.

I never use it so I don't know much about it, but maybe the Interburban stops at the chain ferry and Oval Beach.. These are small buses that have a regular route around the area. Maybe Lake Effect will know or you could google interburban saugatuck.

Edited: 2:55 pm, June 18, 2012
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chain Ferry Question

The Interurban will pick you up and drop you off anywhere in the area.

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chain Ferry Question

I have used the Interurban several times. It's very convenient. You can call them and make arrangements to be picked up. We never had to wait long and the cost was a small tip. Their number is 269-857-1418. We didn't have good cell service at Oval Beach but the person at the guard gate called them for us when we were ready to leave.

7. Re: Chain Ferry Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck