We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saugatuck or South Haven

Ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Saugatuck or South Haven

We are planning a trip for six, 2 parents and 4 early 20's kids in late July early August. For night life, bars on beach or waterfront which area do you recommend. Of, course since they are early 20's they will be looking at economical nightlife. And for myself, which area has the best beachs?

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

Rather than pick one town over another, I'll try to highlight the differences in my opinion.. Saugatuck's beach is isolated, more natural and a drive away while South Haven's beach is connected to it's downtown and more of a city beach. South Haven has a larger downtown while Saugatuck has better shopping, restaurants etc. As far as I know, there are no bars on the beach in either town but both have spots along their downtown riverfronts . Some may disagree but I've always felt that Saugatuck is more adult oriented and South Haven is more family friendly.

Ohio
Level Contributor
526 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

Are they hotels to stay right on the beach at either south haven or saugatuck?

Palos Heights...
Level Contributor
71 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

A followup question...I have never been to Saugatuck..looking forward to spending 4th of July weekend there!! Need a locals recommendation...where's the best place to grab a cocktail with a water view?? Then later, best beach casual spot to eat dinner on Saturday night!

Any other "tips' would be appreciated...thanks!

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
327 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

All waterviews in Saugatuck are of the Kalamazoo River, there is no dining/drinking with views of Lake Michigan. That being said, you can grab a drink at Red Dock, The Butler, Mermaid or Coral Gables. Best spots to eat include Phil's, Everyday People Cafe, Marro's or Saugatuck Brewing. 4th of July is one of the busiest weekends so plan ahead & be prepared to wait.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

south haven would fit your [kid's] needs better than saugatuck. the [young adult] beach scene is great. it's more of a beach town than saugatuck..... in the same vein, st joe, about 20-30 minutes south of south haven, also has a great young-adult beach scene, as well as eateries within eyesight of the beach.... there are several hotels near the lakefront as well.....

www.beachtowns.org

SH and st joe have great beaches that are easily accessible. saugatuck, while it's beach is very nice, you almost have to drive to it, which will set you back 5-10 bucks for parking. SH and st joe also have rental outfitters/surf shops that rent kayaks, SUP's etc.... i'm not aware of any in saugatuck....

6. Re: Saugatuck or South Haven

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck