We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dog friendly locations

Monticello,IN
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
dog friendly locations

We will be visiting Saugatuck in August with our small dog and will be renting a pet friendly condo. Are most shops pet friendly if they are in a carrier and do any of restaurants with outdoor dining allow pets in those areas? Does the Dunes State Park allow dogs?

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dog friendly locations

Here is an earlier post that may be helpful to you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28943-i319-k27558…

I don't know about restaurants allowing dogs inside. Usually only service dogs are permitted in restaurants in the US. You may have to check directly with the restaurants you decide to visit. Dogs are permitted on trails in state parks if they are on a leash but they are not permitted on the beach. Here is the link to the State of Michigan website:

michigan.gov/dnr/…00.html

I, too, enjoy my dogs and would love to travel with them. Alas, they both get car sick so they stay home as the already long drive from NJ is soooo much longer with two sick dogs! Moms

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
341 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dog friendly locations

It is against Michigan law for dogs to be in any shops that carry any food products...many shops carry some food lines. I'm guessing all restaurants would be covered by the same law, even those with outside seating.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
4 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dog friendly locations

Hercules Hotdogs is a very casual restaurant that has a large patio where dogs are very welcome. While hot dogs are the featured items on the menu, there are a number of other options such as a chicken pita, gyro, hamburger, chicken strips, etc. Very friendly staff. No alcohol.

Mentioned in this post
Hercules Bar and Grill
Hercules Bar and Grill
403 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dog friendly locations

In places with outdoor seating, such as Wally's, it is acceptable to bring your dog as long as your dog is tied up outside on the sidewalk. You can sit at one of the outdoor tables next to your pup but with the fence/railing between you. The friendly waitress will usually bring your dog its own bowl of water.

I think most shops that don't sell food are pet friendly, but it's probably courteous to ask.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dog friendly locations

Hi, we planning to visit Saugatuck with our family this weekend and we hope to bring our 2 dogs, how was your experience of the trip with your dog? Where did you stay in Saugatuck? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Monticello,IN
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dog friendly locations

We stayed in a cottage right on Lake Michigan that we rented from Shoreline Realtors. It had a private beach that allowed dogs and I highly recommend them. It was a great location. All the shops were very dog friendly and she was allowed in every shop we visited. We ate at restaraunts with outdoor seating and just kept her on the other side of the rail. Saugatuck, Douglas and South Haven were all very pet friendly! Hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
7. Re: dog friendly locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck
Recent Conversations