We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

We are going to SW Michigan in October. We only have 3 nights to spend and our destinations are St. Joseph and Saugatuck. I would like opinions on which place to stay for 2 of the 3 nights. We enjoy the beach and nice lodgings. Some shopping too. I've heard good things about both places but wondered which place to stay the longest. We are considering the Holiday Inn Express in St. Joe and Lake Shore Resort in Saugatuck. Any suggestions appreciated!

Saugatcuk
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

At the north end of Oval beach there is a wooden ramp with no stairs. Also, the City of Saugatuck recently purchases a sand-friendly wheelchair that is available, I believe, at the concession stand in the mid-section of the beach. Oval beach is great. Douglas Beach is free if you get one of the parking spots. There are stairs, but not so steep, with two landings.

Saugatcuk
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

At the north end of Oval beach there is a wooden ramp with no stairs. Also, the City of Saugatuck recently purchases a sand-friendly wheelchair that is available, I believe, at the concession stand in the mid-section of the beach. Oval beach is great. Douglas Beach is free if you get one of the parking spots. There are stairs, but not so steep, with two landings.

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
563 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Thanks to all for the great suggestions for our trip to Saugatuck! We have returned home and had a wonderful time! So much good advice and truly a great time.

We stayed at Lake Shore Resort and were thoroughly impressed with the beach, grounds and our room. We enjoyed the quaintness of the town and all the shops.

No doubt we will be returning in the future!

ELmhurst, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Rono-

Do you know anything about the Northern Lights Resort? It is located at 320 Blue Moon Highway, next to the Blue Moon Bar & Grill (here's the website http://www.liveatthelights.com/). I know it's pretty new and they have availability for july but don't know anything about it.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Yes I just ate at Blue moon Saturday. Great Restaurant. OK here we go:

They have just completely , and I mean completely remodeled the old Mi Ro motel as it used to be called. The structure still reminds me of a two story motel, in a kind of U shaped design. Also they have a major project going on the northside of the property, looks like at least two new buildings making this probably the biggest hotel in the area now. I don't know if these are condos or what? It was just getting dark when we were there. I don't know if the restaurant and hotel are associated or not but if they are the decor would most likely be contemporary. Its location is somewhat suspect. The backside of the hotel looks out over a flat field that used to be the MiRo golfcourse. The restaurant is on the corner of Blue Star (old US 31) and another road. The hotel kinda circles the restaurant now, So the best views are actually of the parkinglot. With that said it sits right on the south end of Douglas, a short drive to downtown Douglas, the Oval Beach and of course just a little farther to Saugatuck.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on any reviews because this place is changing quickly, IMO for the better.

I must say this in the most polite and respectful way. It is also just a hundred yards down the street from a very very popular gay restaurant, bar, hotel. This is just meant as information, good, bad or indifferent.

ELmhurst, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Rono-

Thanks for being candid. I'm not sure this is the ideal place for my family, seeing as it's not right near the water. We're having trouble finding ANYTHING that will rent just for a long weekend. I've heard mixed reviews on the Suites of Saugatuck, which has some availability. Any opinions on that or know of any others in Saugatuck/South Haven that might rent by the weekend??

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Saugatuck or St. Joseph?

Did you try Lake Shore Resort? I've only seen it from the Lake, it looks good from there, its down a dead end street but on the Lake.

Try Old Harbor Inn in South Haven , its on the river channel right in town, a lot of people like it and its run more like a hotel. I don't know about the weekend thing, you're right so many things are setup for the week. Also try Sleepy Hollow in South Haven, nice resort , all privately owned condos also on the lake. Maybe Ship and Shore in Saugatuck also on a river right in town. Let me know.

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck