We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saugatuck in July

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Saugatuck in July

Everyone here is always so helpful. We are preparing for our first trip to Saugatuck in July and had a couple of questions. How far is the stadium the Whitcaps play in from Saugatuck, and is that a fun thing to do while in town (2 kids under 13)? Is there some kind of community pool in Saugatuck? Someone had told me you could take your kids to the marina to swim, but someone else told me you couldn't. What's the must-see attraction in Holland? Lastly, I received an email from Crane's saying the cherries froze this year. Hopefully, there will be blueberries or something else to pick. Next best place to pick fruit? Thanks for all your help!!

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saugatuck in July

I am sure that others will chime in but I can give you some information. The Whitecap stadium is in Comstock Park, north of the city of Grand Rapids. Located just off of US 131 at the West River Drive exit. There is major construction on the highway coming from Holland into Grand Rapids. I would avoid rush hour at all cost,if you head in for an evening game. In normal traffic I would give youself about 40 minutes to get from Saugatuck to the stadium. Grand Rapids does have a zoo with a brand new Lion exhibit but since you come from Cincinnati, our zoo really cant compare! Lets see what other responses you get. Holland does have a Craigs Cruisers which some kids might enjoy. They also have a nice community pool with a neat indoor water park. I dont know many of the specific's but I do think it located on the south side of Holland.

As far a Holland activities, probably the state park is #1, especially with kids but it would be the same experience in Saugatuck. Seek out one of the 3 "Captain Sundays" in Holland/Zeeland for ice cream. They have the most unusual sunday combinations. How about the dune scooter rides in Saugatuck? They did have a fire last year, so check to be sure they are up and running. I know they are nothing to dangerous, just a nice ride on the sand dunes.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saugatuck in July

I'd actually give yourself 50 minutes on a good day to get from Saugatuck to White Caps Stadium, but with construction, I'd plan on more than an hour. The stadium is really cute, kind of old fashioned and small. If you enjoy baseball, it would be a fun thing to do.

There is a pool at the Butler and another one at Clearbrook. I'm not sure anymore if they're open to the public, but you could call and check.

Definitely go to Oval Beach. Since you have a family, I will suggest you plant yourselves on t he southern end instead of the north. The kiddos might get too much of an "eyeful" on the northern end.

As for other berry picking, Earl's Berry Farm always has gorgeous fruit. When I lived in Saugatuck I picked there for years.

In Holland, there is the beach, but Oval Beach in Saugatuck is nicer. Downtown Holland is cute and has some nice shops. I can't really think of anything else there; maybe someone else can chime in.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saugatuck in July

Roho...when exactly are you going? I am from Cincinnati also and will be up there with my sister and her family....including a 12 year old! We will be there July 6-11, staying in Saugatuck. Here are some of the things we thought about doing , to satisfy adults and pre-teen.....Express Yourself Art Barn, Concerts in the park on Wed., Wasterfront film Festival, Picking berries somewhere, visting Holland (open air museum), Douglas Social on Thurs.,Oval Beach, Dune rides, Grand Haven bike path & lighhouse, Boat ride in Saugatuck on the river and I am sure that we'll do things as they pop up.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Saugatuck in July

Thanks for the help, everyone. Your advice is absolutely invaluable. BailyJ, a special thanks about the beach tip. We always hit a minor league game wherever we vacation, so I'm looking forward to the Whitecaps game, just not the hour drive!

We will be in Saugatuck July 14-18, staying across from the Clearbrook golf course, so Doggy1, I will call the Clearbrook about the pool...thanks. We had planned on doing the dune rides, Cranes for pie and berry picking,(but now we'll go to Earl's or somewhere else for the picking), Holland to pick up some Delft china and see the wooden shoe factory, I want to go to the winery in Fennville, and probably a boat ride. I just printed your posts so I can take them with me. Might have to hit the lighthouse now.

Looks like we're just going to miss you, Lindasp! It would have been cool to hook up...I have a 12 year old, too, and an 8 year old. Both girls.

Thanks again, everyone!!!

5. Re: Saugatuck in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck