We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in Saugatuck

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in Saugatuck

We have a group going to Saugatuck this weekend. We are staying at the Mason Street Suites. I am looking for recommendations on restaurants. We were there a couple of years ago and ate at the White House which is across the street and thought it was very good. I have been reading mixed reviews about Toulouse and heard it was overpriced. Has anyone been to either of these recently? We are also considering Mermaid, or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great. We would like to make reservations somewhere, if possible, since there are 10 of us. I think we would prefer to eat somewhere right in town so we can walk there. Thanks!

Butler Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Saugatuck Dunes State Park
Beaches, Cross-country Ski Areas, State Parks
Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in Saugatuck

White House has just gotten a new chef and the response seems to be positive. Personally haven't eaten there since he arrived but I'm sure it's an improvement.

Tolouse is certainly the 'priciest' in town but I personally have never had a bad meal there. Have eaten there 8-10 times and it has been consistent. I really enjoy the outside patio.

Mermaid, being right on the water, is definitely a favorite. Really good menu and the service has always been good for me. They've just added to the menu and I think the prices are very reasonable.

Phil's may also be a great choice. People tend to think that it's just a bar with bar fare. They actually have a really nice menu that is priced right. Inside there is table space for a group of 10 but not outside. They have a very small outside eating area. I just have always thought that Phil's is deceiving. You would be surprised at how good it is for a 'bar'.

Of course, Everyday People and Blue Moon are great options but won't work since you obviously can't walk to them.

The Butler is large and could easily accommodate your group but I wouldn't consider that a "nice" place to eat. It's good and it's consistent and a group of 10 would be a piece of cake for them but I don't think you would walk away from there thinking you had the best meal of your life.

Just some of my opinions. Enjoy your stay in our beautiful little town!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in Saugatuck

Thanks for your suggestions! I have eaten at Everyday People and really liked it but we thought with all of us it would be easier to just walk somewhere.

3. Re: Dining in Saugatuck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck