We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs and beaches

columbus, OH
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Dogs and beaches

I'd like to be able to take my dogs on the beach around or near Saugatuck. Is that possible?

8 replies to this topic
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Dogs and beaches

Sadly, not that I am aware of in town. Around a half hour north is Kirk Park and 45 minutes south is Grand Mere State Park. I am not aware of any closer options. :-(

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
2. Re: Dogs and beaches

A little farther south is Warren Dunes State Park which has a dog section on the northern edge, or did.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Dogs and beaches

Just left Saugatuck with our dog. You cannot have a dog on Oval Beach, however, dogs are allowed in Saugatuck Dunes State Park which I think is a lot nicer than Oval Beach. Less crowds and a number of dogs. We didn't find Saugatuck/Douglas to be dog friendly. Meaning don't expect to take fido with you to go out for dinner.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
4. Re: Dogs and beaches

We didn't have any trouble at all with our dog along the marina area in Saugatuck. A lot of eating establishments have outdoor patios as well. The shops are "verboten", especially when you have a dog with the "tail of doom" like ours.

Edited: 5:16 pm, August 18, 2018
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Dogs and beaches

Yes that's true, however, most restaurants will ask you to tie your dog up on the outside of their patio.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Dogs and beaches

Gary, thankyou very much for the inside info. From your experience I can guess the no dog on beach rule is not enforced there. However, to others, it should be noted it is not 'permitted' via policies. The hiking trails are but the beach its self is not. The info can be a bit hard to know as it is stated amoung the 'general rules' of the state parks in which all most all parks allow dogs on the trails but not swimming areas, but the state park link does have a list of the swimming beach exceptions. But, even so, it is a large beach area so if you can easily get by with it then I guess, go for it. But either way it is best to atleast be aware.

https:/…

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
351 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Dogs and beaches

It is against Michigan law to have dogs in restaurants and on patios where food is being served. This law may not be enforced in some cases but it is still the law. There is legislation introduced that would change this but it has not been voted on yet.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
8. Re: Dogs and beaches

That would be good. Make it legal like Oregon.

Reply to: Dogs and beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck