We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall in the Saugatuck

Franklin, Indiana
Level Contributor
72 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fall in the Saugatuck

Just wondering if it looks an early fall there? We will be there 10/20 - 10/22. Hoping for beautiful fall colors then. What's it looking like currently? Here SE Indiana some leaves turning and falling....

Level Contributor
2,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall in the Saugatuck

On the 'Michigan' forum, you can go to 'change of season' posts 7 through 10 being the latest (yesterday) and see the current condition maps, peak color predicter, and the extended lengthy summer we are recieving and will be for sometime. Times on the peak is all over the place but news 8 in Grand Rapids puts a week earlier than usual peak in lower west Michigan. The lakeshore peaks later than inland but your dates are pushing even at the lakeshore at the very end of possible. You will very likely arrive past peak, but some color may remain at the lakeshore, maybe. A lot can change, ofcourse, on the timing of things. Currently much of the state is seeing low color activity. Even an average year peaks out by the 20th in most of the state.

Edited: 10:26 am, September 19, 2017
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
349 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall in the Saugatuck

Sorry to disagree with Francis but I think you'll be on target for color along the lakeshore. My experience has been that our peak color is at the end of October and if it is early this year you should be fine. Have a great time!

Level Contributor
2,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall in the Saugatuck

http://bit.ly/2hhQvL7

According to this 'average' timing map, Lake effect, you would be quite correct. Seems my memory has the peak in central lower state around the 20th but my memory dont mean much. Lol. Also, we certainly know the lakeshore does peak out later than inland. However, if, in fact, peak is a week earlier than usual, it is very likely peak will have come and gone. In saying all that, i certainly do hope the OP gets a color show and in that case, i would be quite happy to be wrong. :-)

Edited: 1:21 pm, September 20, 2017
Level Contributor
2,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall in the Saugatuck

http://bit.ly/2jNcA9d

Lets try this link thing one more time.

5. Re: Fall in the Saugatuck

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, yesterday
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck