We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

We are planning to return to the saugatuck michigan area for our family summer retreat again this year. I see a resort called the Beachway and on the internet it looks like a good place to stay for a family with children. However, I have never seen a review for this place. I am skeptical. Does anyone know anything about the Beachway Resort? My biggest concern is that it is well kept, clean and decent management. Thanks for any insight you may have. Also, any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Again....Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Beachway Resort
Beachway Resort
118 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck Dune Rides
Off-Road & ATV Trails
Mount Baldhead Park
Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Butler Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

Can't really comment on your biggest concerns, but I think this is the resort on the corner of the road leading to the Oval Beach. It doesn't really have any grounds, it sits on the side of the hill, and I'm not sure how kid friendly it would be. You're across the river from Saugatuck, the chain ferry is close by. Mt. Baldy is just around the corner, the Oval is down the road, not really a walk, at least I wouldn't. Sorry my first thought was not sure how kid friendly it would be.

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
809 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck, Michigan
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

Rono is correct, it's on the corner of the road leading to Oval Beach and right across from the chain ferry, making it very convenient to drive to the beach (about a 1 minute drive!) and take the ferry into town (but not after dark). Seems like a very basic motel to me, with a pool. I would *guess* it's well maintained and clean, but maybe not much more than that! I've only driven by many times, never toured the rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
809 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
naperville, IL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

My family and I started going to this "resort" when my youngest daughter was 6 months old, 7 years ago. We stayed a week that year, and have returned every year since for a four-day weekend in June to jumpstart our summer vacation. The resort, which is actually more of a motel setting, is quite clean. We stay in an efficiency, which were recently updated, but keep in mind that this is a very old hotel. The pool is immaculate, the staff is friendly. The office offers family friendly videos (not dvds) for a $1.00 rental fee. There is free coffee in the lobby throughout the day, and free pool towels are available at the desk for use at the pool only. Now that the kids are older, we make an annual morning trek (bring your water bottles) up Mt Baldi, and follow the paths down to Oval Beach. The Chain Ferry does not run at night. We return every year because it is quiet and quaint. I nice quiet evening can be enjoyed watching the sunset at nearby Douglas Beach, as well as Oval Beach!

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
809 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
Saugatuck Chain Ferry
101 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
337 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

In my opinion, the Beachway would be a good choice for kid friendly lodging close to town (via the chain ferry) and the beach. The pool looks great. Its better than being out on the highway.

Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

Have stayed at the Beachway a couple of times with our small children. We would definitely go back again. Very clean and quiet. All the kids really want is the pool, TV and the donuts for breakfast, so the Beachway has them covered.

I think the shallow end of the pool is about 2 ft deep ,so obviously you have to be in there with the little ones. OK to bring flotation devices. If your kids are swimmers you can get a room facing the pool and supervise from the balcony or sit poolside. The poolside room rent out fast, so reserve early.

We now rent a house in town because the annual Saugatuck vist has grown to include the entire extended family. The Beachway is ideal in many ways because it is very convenient to downtown Suagatuck via the chain ferry. As mentioned, the chain ferry stops running around sunset, but by then the kids are tired anyhow.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

Bump

7. Re: Beachway Resort Saugatuck, need insight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck