We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

We are having a weekend getaway with our best friends and are debating on south haven & Saugatuk. We will be kid free & just want to have a fun evening. We do like to drink & go to wineries or breweris. We'd like to walk around too & expeinces different bars. Any suggestions on which place would be the most fun for a kid free fun weekend. Thanks

Saugatuck, MI
Destination Expert
for Saugatuck
Level Contributor
343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Saugatuck wins hands down. Make sure to stay within walking distance of downtown so you can stroll to all there is to enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
317 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Both are nice, when I think of Saugatuck, I think shopping. When I think of South Haven it's shopping as well as the beach. Saugatuck has a beach but you must drive to the other side to get to it. South Haven you can park down town and walk every where from shopping to the beach, bars, or you can drive around to the other side along the shore line just north of town.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
chicago
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

I like both towns but South Haven is more walkable to beach and bars.

Mentioned in this post
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Both places offer drinking options and nice downtowns. Saugatuck walk to the beach requires about 20 minutes (more if walking the trail versing road) with a one mile walk (longer and many steps if taking trail) requireing taking the chain ferry across. It is certainly doable and scenic and many many visitors do this while in town. Plus there are Duck Rides, hungry tours, dune rides, mansion tours, and boat rides. A nice boardwalk downtown adds to the beauty and Oval Beach is very naturally scenic.

However..

South Haven feels more built up, offers a 1/2 mile easy and scenic ten minute walk to the beach, and has a maritime museum with historic (and other) sailboat rides. Nearby ATV rentals are available too. Biking to the covered bridge and walking the heritage trail from the south pier to the north pier is a very lovely walk.

So..i cannot really vouch one over the other. Both are great towns. Www.beachtowns.org and www.eyeonmichigan.com may be of some help as well.

Mentioned in this post
Oval Beach
Oval Beach
884 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,017 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

I think i'd go for south haven....

The good thing is, you can't go wrong with either, and the towns are close enough where if you stay in one, you can easily visit the other....

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Saugatuck wins if you want to walk around to bars. So much fun bar hopping. If you stay in Douglas, Saugatuck or the township you can ride the interurban for $1. Agree that South Haven is great for beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Between those choices I would choose South Haven.

But for your needs I would choose Holland. : )

Mentioned in this post
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

Well now, if your gonna step out of the choice box .. :-) Grand Rapids is beer city for a reason. Some 60 plus choices in the downtown walkable area (central, heartside, north monroe and west side) plus two companies run weekend brewery buses (with a few outside of easy walking range) and plenty of more choices in very close by uptown in their several districts. :-) but..i do say, Holland does have a decent selection too. So, pick one, any one, and you got yourself a winner. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids
Kent County, MI
Holland
Holland
Ottawa County, MI
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

You would love Saugatuck. Both are pretty great choices. I feel like Saugatuck is a little more artisan and nicer.

Mentioned in this post
Saugatuck
Saugatuck
Allegan County, MI
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debating between Saugatauk or South haven

So what did you choose?

Get answers to your questions about Saugatuck