We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Saginaw

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Saginaw

I am thinking of moving out of California and considering several options, one of which is Saginaw. I would be interested to know about house and condo prices and a preferred neighborhood with banking, shopping, post office, etc. within an easy walking distance. Any information would be appreciated.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Saginaw

Check out City's of Bridgeport, Bay City, Frankenmuth and St Charles areas.

newport, ca
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Saginaw

don't move to saginaw - but, if you must, buy out in the townships - only place that you might not lose money later on - maybe Midland.

Compared to california - everything in saginaw county is a bargin.

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Saginaw

I second the don't move to Saginaw idea... move 15 minutes up the road to Bay City. It's a much nicer town, cute downtown area... pretty close to the lake, has great festivals, pretty good restaurants, and decent housing.

Right now, with the economy here in MIchigan (and I'm one to talk as I've just actually moved back to Michigan), housing is going really cheaply. The Condo's... there's some beautiful ones on the river in Bay City. In fact, if you want a place where you could walk to the market, the post office, restaurants, the bank, etc... downtown Bay City, on the water is your best bet (and it is really gorgeous).

Saginaw, if you really want to move to Saginaw, move to the Township or Zillawaukee... but DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT move to Saginaw proper.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Saginaw

I second the Downtown Bay City suggestion. Lots to do in this area and you can walk a lot of places.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Saginaw

I don't know you guys who are saying don't move to Saginaw...I have a buddy who moved there a year or so ago, and he's cleaning up in the housing market...buying dumpy houses for under $10,000 fixing them up and selling them in the $50,000 range. He's done several in the last year and has always had a buyer before the house has been done. Saginaw's going through a bit of a makeover and there are some really good deals to be had. I think you'll start to see some nicer neighborhoods springing back up in Saginaw over the course of the next few years.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Saginaw

deadhead - You are right, BUT Saginaw has seen a major increase in violence. There are nice neighborhoods in Saginaw, however, its not safe to even drive through some neighborhoods b/c of shootings, fires, etc.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Saginaw

Plus the schools and the city are really struggling financially. It is something to consider.

Mid-Michigan
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Saginaw

The Saginaw area is not a bad place to live. I personally would not buy a house in the city because property taxes are very high and because of the crime rate. Although the city schools are losing students, they still have great schools such as SASA, which attracts students from all over Saginaw county. The Saginaw area also has any kind of restaurant you can imagine, and there are also great local bars and restaurants. I have lived in Saginaw nearly all my life and I've also lived in Lansing, and one major plus is that the traffic isn't terrible and it's easy and convenient to get pretty much anywhere. The housing prices are amazingly low compared to anywhere else, which can be attributed to the local economy, but there are also some promising companies that are expanding and creating jobs in the area. All and all it's not a bad place to live; I'd recommend Saginaw Township, Thomas Township, or even the Hemlock area.

Saint Louis...
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Saginaw

My dad grew up in Saginaw in the 40's and 50's - then it was a thriving city with many amenities and close to 100,000 people. It has taken a real hit with disinvestment and white flight into the townships, but so have many similar sized cities in the Rust Belt who had a large pop working in the auti industry. Just so happened that Saginaw was wealthy before the auto boom and had further to fall. Haven't been there since the 90's sometime.

Saginaw, MI
Level Contributor
3 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Saginaw

Another area to consider is the town of Freeland, Michigan which is a very pleasant community, with a small-town feel, yet near the Tri City airport. Bay City is a good choice for walk-ability. Saginaw Township is another popular choice, although does require driving. Similarly Thomas Township is a growing community with some very nice homes, but again would require a car. For absolute convenience, I'd agree that river condos in Bay City would be a very good choice.